You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option to import pages from PDF

• 8 months later...
On 9/6/2018 at 4:38 PM, TonyB said:

When you place a PDF then you can choose the page shown on the context toolbar at the top. If you want multiple pages then you should load(File Open) the PDF into Publisher and choose the pages you want. We don't currently have a insert PDF/Affinity document that will merge multiple pages yet but we might add it later.

Great, thanks. 

Additional question: When placing PDF’s in Affinity Publisher, I can’t manage to get rid of the transparent background. (PDF’s were created with AP, too). 

Is there any possibility to make the PDF files non-transparent after placing them? 
If not, do you know of any possibility to create PDF’s from publisher without a transparency? 

Both feature are very important for a professional layout program, I would think. 
If there is no solution yet, when will it come? 

Thanks for taking the time to answer. 

Thomas 

Addendum: 

I found a ”solution”, but it’s surely an improvised one. Before exporting your PDF from Affinity Publisher, put a white object the size of the page behind other objects on your page. The PDF will then not have a transparent background. 

Having said that, it still would be more than nice to have the option when exporting to pdf, and also when importing one. 
To establish itself as a true alternative to Adobe’s InDesign, I think AP must simply add such much-needed functions. 

1 hour ago, Thomas M. Braun said:

I found a ”solution”, but it’s surely an improvised one. Before exporting your PDF from Affinity Publisher, put a white object the size of the page behind other objects on your page. The PDF will then not have a transparent background. 

It sounds as though you have your Publisher document set up to have a transparent background (established during File > New, or via Document Setup). Why not just turn that off? Then the page backgrounds are all white, automatically.

By the way, AP is Affinity Photo. (Hover over the underlined "AP" in the last sentence of your post.) Publisher is best abbreviated as APu, or not at all.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 hours ago, Thomas M. Braun said:

When placing PDF’s in Affinity Publisher, I can’t manage to get rid of the transparent background.

You could assign a white fill to the picture frame containing the placed PDF/Image or AfPub-File. Make sure you check the option for picture frames to keep its own fill:

446338425_Bildschirmfoto2021-06-08um13_49_54.png.f88be01bf967eb8028198bfcc09e9ccf.png

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);