You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option to import pages from PDF

Hi,

First I FINALLY got the Affinity Publisher beta installed (had to turn off NET 3.5 to do so) but all is good.

Publisher_2018-09-04_08-36-32.thumb.png.d2870d7741b2caf51336da0dc014faa6.png

Second, I was working on a project when I tried to place a PDF into the project canvas, it was placed as a whole image instead of choosing pages. 

2018-09-04_09-01-27.thumb.gif.d12fd6c1539aac2089be22260839e799.gif

Adding the option to choose which pages from a PDF alongside what images would be a great feature for Affinity Publisher. This would allow for more flexibility when placing PDFs into a Publisher project.  

wait, what? Yes this is needed.

Especially if I'm able to nest Publisher docs inside publisher docs, as they are usually multipage.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

• Staff

When you place a PDF then you can choose the page shown on the context toolbar at the top. If you want multiple pages then you should load(File Open) the PDF into Publisher and choose the pages you want. We don't currently have a insert PDF/Affinity document that will merge multiple pages yet but we might add it later.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

In the Affinity Publisher bèta you can now import a PDF with multiple pages, and preview all pages.

Select "open" then Load pages. When you insert a page number and click in the next field, the preview displays that particular page.

It would be nice if the preview shows the chosen page right after you insert the page number ...

Keep up your very good work!

• 8 months later...

Hi,

It's quite old thread, but is there any news on importing multi-page PDF into Publisher? At the moment I need to extract pages as separate files in Acrobat and then import them into Publisher same way as multiple images.
We use it quite often at work (i.e. to add crop marks to artwork).

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu

• 1 month later...

+1 is there any news? Any timescale when this might be implemented in the future (within weeks, month or years?)

We need this feature so badly here. So far it's extremely unpractical that you can't import a PDF with multiple pages automatically! We usually have tons of pdf files (with sometimes 100+ pages) to import.

The best would be to just set the first page in the right position and with the right scale and then Publisher should create as much pages as the pdf-file has and fill the document with these pages, the same way like you set up the first page.

Almost everything else works so nice, that I would love to switch to Publisher. But without this feature it's practically impossible!

• Staff

Hi Engineer,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Go to menu File > Open. It should import/open the PDF with all pages by default or you can select just a few (check the import dialog top left). What's not possible is to embed the whole PDF with all visible pages into a document. Maybe that's what you meant?

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2019 at 8:59 PM, Engineer said:

In case it would be possible to merge pages from different Publisher files, this might be a workaround. But as far as I know this isn't possible as well.

Hello @Engineer,

the latest beta version introduced exactly this feature: merge documents 

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 10 months later...

Being unable to easily insert a pdf is a feature that makes affinity publisher difficult to use. I am publishing a magazine and the advertising copy is always sent as pdf. At the moment I have to muck around quite a bit to place these ads and damn...it is frustrating. I might have to look at MS publisher to see if that will do the job.

1 hour ago, robynt said:

Being unable to easily insert a pdf is a feature that makes affinity publisher difficult to use.

New 1.9 beta has PDF passthrough. You might want to test it. I am worried how multiple PDF files with varying PDF levels behave in export.

Whoa, this non existing feature in earlier versions of Publisher made app unusable for us as we often put together publications with lots of external pdf's, which must remain intact  / not interpreted (misssing fonts, delicate content etc.)  Mayor feature for me, will download  new version ASAP.  :)

Edit: Ah, halfbaked feature IMO. Passthrough works only on export to pdf, while screen preview and printing to PCL printers still change missing fonts.  As there is no option to place multi page pdf's as embedded objects, we have to stay with our ageing version of InDesign. Pagemaker and Ventura Publisher were able to do that decades ago ... :( 

Edited by Art Plant

• 2 weeks later...
  •  
  • MEB
  • Moderators
  • staff.png.c356aec36362b0392a2d932c9ff350
  • 28,053 posts

Hi Engineer,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Go to menu File > Open. It should import/open the PDF with all pages by default or you can select just a few (check the import dialog top left). What's not possible is to embed the whole PDF with all visible pages into a document. Maybe that's what you meant?

Hello

This should have solve my request, but in my publisher 1.8.5.703 version, the pdf import option always place page 1 of a multi pages pdf document, despite other pages is chosen.

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, Didier73 said:

This should have solve my request, but in my publisher 1.8.5.703 version, the pdf import option always place page 1 of a multi pages pdf document, despite other pages is chosen.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I'm not sure what that screenshot is from. However, when Placing a PDF you will select the page you want from the Context Toolbar in Affinity after you Place the file. For example:

image.png.c416e751de4f1e174a1c09dee0a46dde.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, Carlonike said:

Importing PDF files into publisher destroys graphics ...  (on the left the imported PDF, on the right the original)

So it is really impossible to be able to do something decent!

Those look like issues with the fonts, related to the Affinity applications not having support to use the fonts embedded in the PDF file. This is a well-known issue.

1.9 improves that for Placed PDF pages by allowing Passthrough mode, where the PDF page is treated more like an image if you export the Publisher file to a new PDF. (It still looks wrong when viewing the Publisher file in Publisher, but should look correct when viewing the PDF you export from Publisher.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Ah well ... it must be hard to implement one of the core uses of pdf's in DTP apps - uninterpreted pdf.  If only Publisher would be able to convert missing fonts to curves to maintain look of document - not to wish automatic placement of long pdf documents into publication ... But as it is now in v1.9, placed pdf's look ugly on screen because of missing fonts and are printed ugly on average PCL printer - if not exported to pdf and printed from Acrobat using Passthrough feature.

Edited by Art Plant

2 hours ago, Art Plant said:

If only Publisher would be able to convert missing fonts to curves to maintain look of document

You can't do that unless you can interpret the embedded fonts correctly. And if you can interpret them, you don't need to convert them to curves.

But yes, the current implementation of PassThrough in 1.9 does not help with printing, only exporting. And yes, the Placed PDFs are still ugly on-screen, which others have complained about.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, Art Plant said:

not to wish automatic placement of long pdf documents into publication

No, you still can't Place PDF files except by Placing each page individually.

But you can use Document > Add Files from Document... to bring in multiple pages, or a complete PDF file, as new pages in Publisher. So, if you do not need it as a Linked PDF file, and don't need the PassThrough function, that might provide you a simpler way than doing multiple Place operations.

-- Walt
PC: