You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Don't blame Affinity Publisher!

I have used the former iCalamus publishing software for just a few (very fortunately) shorter books after Adobe refused to let me reinstall my InDesign CS6 (paid for previously) onto my MAC with Sierra.  Although I had converted those books to PDF format, there are apparently major glitches due to layout eccentricities embedded with iCalamus.  Don't be alarmed if those PDF's don't print properly, even when converted to Affinity Publisher.  They can be edited correctly, but there must be hidden glitches, because parts of individual pages won't print, particularly if there are photographs on them.  Or maybe a page of numerous small photos will print the photos but skip half the captions.  This does not happen with books -- also with many photographs -- which I have written using Apple Pages.   It looks as though there may be a big editing job to do, removing all the photos and placing them afresh.  Anyway, good way to learn Publisher down to its socks.   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

PS.  Doesn't happen with InDesign documents converted to PDF.  So this is just a heads-up!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

Please have a look of official videos to learn the first stuffs but on my side i had a great experience with Affinity Publisher, well things are still missing but it's a good piece of software.
Actually what was printing darker or simply bad even when done with APhoto or ADesigner is printed with great colors, so @Patrick Connor and @Mark Ingram your teams did a nice job here, one of my concern to be able to print with my small studio printer but in good resolution and make some incomes instead of just sending everything to the printing company.

Now with affinity publisher i feel able to handle small printing projects.
For pictures, try to understand the linked picture file, it's life saving technic !
Do like i did, you open the file and go the resource manager and locate and link every pictures in there it has advantage of updating automatically as soon as you retouch or correct the picture with APhoto or ADesigner (i think it's actually works even if you do retouch your photo work with MS Paint :D)

Still i'm okay, Serif need to add a better pdf support to it's triumvirate softwares.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Interesting Adobe are refusing to let you reinstall CS6. I’m assuming you have the physical disks, right! I recently bought a new 27 Inch iMac and reinstalled CS6 complete with no problem. What was the reason given and how did they stop you? I’m currently using the most up to date High Sierra. I have CS5.5 disks and CS6 upgrade disks. I had to install CS5.5 first and follow up installing the CS6 upgrade. Have you done the same or is your CS6 a full edition and not an upgrade. Either way it should still install.

On 9/5/2018 at 6:46 PM, Raymondo said:

Interesting Adobe are refusing to let you reinstall CS6. I’m assuming you have the physical disks, right! I recently bought a new 27 Inch iMac and reinstalled CS6 complete with no problem. What was the reason given and how did they stop you? I’m currently using the most up to date High Sierra. I have CS5.5 disks and CS6 upgrade disks. I had to install CS5.5 first and follow up installing the CS6 upgrade. Have you done the same or is your CS6 a full edition and not an upgrade. Either way it should still install.

When I purchased the full edition of CS6 InDesign I was not allowed to receive a DVD.  Had to download the software.  When I tried to transfer the software — using Time Machine — from my MAC with Yosemite, to a new MAC with Sierra, the Adobe software would not honor the serial number for the purchased software.  Adobe would not respond to any and all inquiries about why I could not use my $600.00 or so purchase.  In my book, they are shysters.

Hi. Although it might be a struggle, personally I would take this further with Adobe. You’ve paid your money, legally it should be yours as it was not part of a subscription model. I think you have a case but I don’t pretend it will be easy. Good luck!

It isn't even a struggle.  It is impossible.  I tried for several weeks, and eventually gave it up and bought iCalamus, which was a rather juvenile product, but at least it worked better than Pages -- at least in auto text flow.  Adobe has long-since become a thumping great extortion scheme, in my book.  And I refuse to be swindled.  Publisher is going to be GRAND and the people behind it are really honorable.  If I had to type every word of every 500 pages or so book I have written and every 54-page or so index (8 pt type) I have generated, I wouldn't go to Adobe -- even to save my sanity.    Yeah, Affinity!!! 

On 9/8/2018 at 2:10 PM, jmwellborn said:

It isn't even a struggle.  It is impossible.  I tried for several weeks, and eventually gave it up and bought iCalamus, which was a rather juvenile product, but at least it worked better than Pages -- at least in auto text flow.  Adobe has long-since become a thumping great extortion scheme, in my book.  And I refuse to be swindled.  Publisher is going to be GRAND and the people behind it are really honorable.  If I had to type every word of every 500 pages or so book I have written and every 54-page or so index (8 pt type) I have generated, I wouldn't go to Adobe -- even to save my sanity.    Yeah, Affinity!!! 

Would a newer version of ID would give you a more compatible pdf output for your use in converting to a friendlier DTP program? You could sign up for their subscription long enough to convert your books, then cancel.

Ah, but I beat them to it.  I not only converted every dot and squiggle from InDesign to PDF, but I also have kept the Yosemite MAC in a spare room, with my $600.00 copy of InDesign on it, just in case I have to redo a PDF.  I may not be the brightest bulb in the technological world, but I think I was smart enough to do that.  And the PDF's of InDesign open beautifully in Publisher!  My download of the Publisher Beta also exports the revised documents back into PDF equally beautifully.  And then reopens them again in Publisher.  In my book, it is already "a friendlier DTP program"!!!!!

But thank you so much for caring enough to offer your suggestions!   It is much appreciated!  

7 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Ah, but I beat them to it.  I not only converted every dot and squiggle from InDesign to PDF, but I also have kept the Yosemite MAC in a spare room, with my $600.00 copy of InDesign on it, just in case I have to redo a PDF.  I may not be the brightest bulb in the technological world, but I think I was smart enough to do that.  And the PDF's of InDesign open beautifully in Publisher!  My download of the Publisher Beta also exports the revised documents back into PDF equally beautifully.  And then reopens them again in Publisher.  In my book, it is already "a friendlier DTP program"!!!!!

But thank you so much for caring enough to offer your suggestions!   It is much appreciated!  

You're welcome. Glad to hear it! When Adobe went to a subscription plan, I stopped supporting them. I've been limping along with the last non-subscription versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Lightroom ever since, and they are getting less and less reliable. Been eagerly looking forward to Publisher as I was for the original InDesign. So glad to see it coming to fruition from a rumor. I've purchased Photo, Designer, and will do so with Publisher. Now, if Serif would just add a Lightroom replacement...:-)

I am lined up and ready to purchase Publisher the moment it hits the market!!!  I have no need for Designer, since I have the artistic ability of a mosquito, but I absolutely love Photo.  It has done some extraordinary things at bringing old photographs from the 1800's to life again.  That alone is worth its weight in gold.  It has also recaptured lost detail and color from old 35 mm slides, black and white photographs from generations of yore, etc.  Lovely, lovely software.  As for modern digital photos -- Amazing!!

In regards to CS6, not sure where your issue is but I have no problem downloading CS6 and installing and activating with my serial # that is in my Adobe account. Do you log on on the Adobe website and go to your account and see your purchases and serial numbers? Your entire history should be there with everything you need to install.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.