You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just lost all imported assets - urgent!

I’ve made quite a few assets my self, and I have bought some.. 

just now I was going to add another one I made, but the AD on iPad was freezing.. so I had to quit the app.

When restarting AD, all assets where lost.. except the iOS assets that came with the app. 

And I didn’t have a back up.. are they lost forever? Or any way I can get them back? 

IPad Pro 12,9 v2

Latest official iOS 

Latest AD version.. 

• Staff

Hi 276ccm :)

I'm sorry to hear it, our devs are currently looking into high RAM usage with large asset packs containing multiple assets, so this issue may be related, however we've never heard or seen of the assets being removed from the iPad upon restart.

14 hours ago, 276ccm said:

And I didn’t have a back up.. are they lost forever? Or any way I can get them back? 

Unfortunately not, as there's no way to access the program files equivalent on an iPad, and it's likely the file has been corrupted.

Roughly, how many assets did you have at the time? I'd like to try and recreate this so we can create app logs and potentially figured out how/why this has happened.
In the meantime please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences caused and any work lost.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C I will guess there where around 30 - 40 objects in 6 - 7 sub categories, and the file might have been around maybe 40 mb, so not that crazy big (I guess) 

luckely, some of the objects I made, are still in some designs I have made, so I can add these files again as assets, but some of them where made for a planned project, and I don’t have.. 

the last one I imported, where not big at all.. maybe in some days, I will be able to recreate some of them, and if interested, I can try to send you the asset file, if that would help in any way.?

From now on I’ll try to be more careful with backing up the assets I make, and import them into the iMac and MacBook Pro, so I’ll be sure to have a safe backup :-) 

apologies accepted :-) 

thanks for doing a good job helping us out! :-) 

• Staff

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it and I'll certainly look into this :)

It certainly could help! I'm currently exporting some of my assets from Designer PC and will import them onto my iPad and continue to create more assets, but any more could always help!

Glad to hear it :D 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi Velvet,

Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry to hear this. Affinity should not lose any settings when updating, so your file may still be accessible within app data.

Hold then Windows key and press R to open the Run... dialog and then type;

%AppData%/Affinity/Designer/1.0/user

This should open a folder with multiple .propcol files. Could you please attach your assets.propcol file here, so I can take a look at it for you?

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for that, could you please attach the physical .propcol file here? Looking at your screenshot however the file is only 10kb which does not sound correct for over 100 assets, as it is around 9kb for the included assets.

Attaching the file here can allow me to confirm this, but it would appear as though your assets have been reset, however I can see that your styles and brushes have not. This is not something we've seen before and we're going to investigate internally.

The date on the assets file (9/9/18), was this the date you likely installed the update?

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi Dan

When I click to open the asset file - it opens the Affinity Designer program.  The Apple assets are still there  .  But all of the one's I have made are gone. so I  suppose that is the reason for only 10 kb.   I looked at the download date and it was 9-7-18.  Interesting that  it is a different date than what is showing on the propcol log.

There is actually no other file I can think of to  attach other than what I have  attached  above.  Am I missing  something?  What is the difference from what I attached  and a physical file?

Thanks a bunch.

• Staff
8 hours ago, Velvet said:

Interesting that  it is a different date than what is showing on the propcol log.

This is strange, at any point have you performed a CTRL start up of the app and recently seen the following window?

image.png

My apologies, I was requesting a physical copy of your propcol file as our developers have tools to dig deeper than Affinity or Windows can with the file, however it certainly does sound as though the file has been reset so at this point we're investigating for a cause, rather than a solution. Unfortunately there's no backup made of this file automatically. If you have a previous snapshot of your hard drive (some users backup everything regularly, but I'm aware this isn't commonplace practice) then you can copy the .propcol file from this into your current App Data folder, but if you don't have said backup then unfortunately there's not much we can do to restore the file, my sincerest apologies.

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi Dan C

No, I have never performed a CTRL  startup of the app or anything else.    I don't have a snapshot of my hard drive either.  Well, it looks like I am out of luck for recovering  those precious assets.  Just have to make some more.

Thanks for all your time and support of my questions. 

• 2 years later...

This has just happened to me. I was adding an asset to my collection and it froze and now they are all gone. So much work gone that i will never get back. I wished I had known about this and saved them. Maybe affinity should let people know about this problem. I'm gutted! Anyway yet to get them back if disappeared from the iPad? 

• Staff

Hi @Robger,

We're certainly very sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately the Affinity iPad apps do not automatically create backup files for assets, my apologies.

It may be possible to recover the lost files, by restoring your iPad to a previous system backup, however you may lose any work you have done in the meantime by doing this.

Do you have a previous iPad backup available to you?

Our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences caused here.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...

it's just happened to me (iPad version) I wished I knew we need to export the asset to save it. I thought create an asset mean it's auto save in my app....all my assets are gone now( more than hundreds) any solution? can it recover?

• Staff

Hi @JoeyN,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I'm very sorry to hear this - can you please expand on what exactly has caused this on your iPad? Did the application crash and your assets are no longer available? Did you uninstall and reinstall the app from the app store?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!

I never uninstall and reinstall the app from App Store. It's just like what happened to Robger(above)I was adding an asset to my collection and it froze and closed the app by it self . When I reopen the app again , all my assets are gone only left iOS12(asset) 

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that and once again I extend our apologies for any inconveniences caused.

As above-

On 4/20/2021 at 3:30 PM, Dan C said:

It may be possible to recover the lost files, by restoring your iPad to a previous system backup, however you may lose any work you have done in the meantime by doing this.

Do you have a previous iPad backup available to you?

Please note -

Many thanks!