ballardstudio

Affinity Publisher Becomes Default Over Adobe Apps When Launching Adobe Native Files

Affinity Publisher just made all of my Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator files the default application for file launching. This may not be a bug, it could be an intentional because I didn't realize you can edit Adobe PSD and AI files directly in Affinity Publisher. This includes layered files. I thought Personas weren't available just yet :).

The Affinity apps can import and export PSD, but text will be rasterized on export (instead of being exported as editable text). AI files can only be imported if they contain a PDF stream: the native AI data is ignored.

None of the above has anything to do with Personas.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

27 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

The Affinity apps can import and export PSD, but text will be rasterized on export (instead of being exported as editable text). AI files can only be imported if they contain a PDF stream: the native AI data is ignored.

None of the above has anything to do with Personas.

Yes, but keeping in mind that Affinity Publisher is a layout application not a photo editor or illustration tool makes me wonder what is the path of full capabilities for the application.

It sounds like you may have selected the Publisher when trying to open one of your files and left 'Use this application for all .*** files'. This is not a bug, but instead a feature of Windows.

Same Problem here: 
Affinity Publisher Beta changes the default app for .ai-files to itself and even prevents changing it back to Adobe Illustrator. I can't imagine this is a feature. 
Tested on Windows 10, Version 1803, with AP-Beta-Versions 1.7.0.57 and 1.7.0.162.