You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Becomes Default Over Adobe Apps When Launching Adobe Native Files

Affinity Publisher just made all of my Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator files the default application for file launching. This may not be a bug, it could be an intentional because I didn't realize you can edit Adobe PSD and AI files directly in Affinity Publisher. This includes layered files. I thought Personas weren't available just yet :).

The Affinity apps can import and export PSD, but text will be rasterized on export (instead of being exported as editable text). AI files can only be imported if they contain a PDF stream: the native AI data is ignored.

None of the above has anything to do with Personas.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

27 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

The Affinity apps can import and export PSD, but text will be rasterized on export (instead of being exported as editable text). AI files can only be imported if they contain a PDF stream: the native AI data is ignored.

None of the above has anything to do with Personas.

Yes, but keeping in mind that Affinity Publisher is a layout application not a photo editor or illustration tool makes me wonder what is the path of full capabilities for the application.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Same Problem here: 
Affinity Publisher Beta changes the default app for .ai-files to itself and even prevents changing it back to Adobe Illustrator. I can't imagine this is a feature. 
Tested on Windows 10, Version 1803, with AP-Beta-Versions 1.7.0.57 and 1.7.0.162. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.