You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I love the software but struggling to make a document that shows bleed area. With Indesign can shortcut Alt.W to snap to actual size of document. When I make a pdf print file, I can’t get rid of sizing bar, so it shows in the final pdf. The final pdf doesn’t account for bleed area, it just shows whole entire size of page plus bleed.

Sarah,

Hello and welcome to the forums. I'd like to help you but I'm confused about what you are asking. What is confusing me is, In the beginning you are struggling to make a document that shows the bleed are but then with your final pdf it shows the whole entire size of the page plus bleed. Isn't that what you want? It might help if you could explain what you would like in a different way. 

When you want to make the document show the bleed, do you mean you want to see it on screen or you want to see in in the pdf? If you want to see the bleed on screen go to View/View Mode/Clip to Canvas and it will show you things that are drawn off the canvas (like bleed). If you are talking about bleed in your exported PDF, then there is also a "more options" tab you can click on when you are exporting a PDF and it gives the choice to include bleed or not. I hope that helps.

Also it is worth mentioning that Designer isn't supposed to be like Indesign, it is a vector app and not a page layout application. Affinity Publisher is a page layout application and it might be worth checking it out if you are doing a lot of work laying things out. 

Best of luck,

Hokusai

I've just checked out the latest version of Designer and I'm disappointed to note that it's still not possible to have visible bleed GUIDES. As this app might reasonably be expected to be used for artwork destined for print, the lack of a properly implemented bleed facility after over 4 years suggests that Affinity just don't get it. You keep promising that it'll be fixed in a future update. The workarounds you keep suggesting should not be necessary. 

5 minutes ago, Chris_Pearson said:

I've just checked out the latest version of Designer and I'm disappointed to note that it's still not possible to have visible bleed GUIDES. As this app might reasonably be expected to be used for artwork destined for print, the lack of a properly implemented bleed facility after over 4 years suggests that Affinity just don't get it. You keep promising that it'll be fixed in a future update. The workarounds you keep suggesting should not be necessary. 

It is part of the 1.7 updates, which have not come to AD as of yet. Visible bleed guides are part of the 1.7x release of APub and should be rolled into AD once they are updated.

• 5 months later...
On 9/5/2018 at 5:58 AM, sarah whittley said:

I love the software but struggling to make a document that shows bleed area. With Indesign can shortcut Alt.W to snap to actual size of document. When I make a pdf print file, I can’t get rid of sizing bar, so it shows in the final pdf. The final pdf doesn’t account for bleed area, it just shows whole entire size of page plus bleed.

Sarah,

Don't know if you still read the forums here or not seeing how you haven't posted since your first post but I thought it might interest you to know that the latest Beta of Designer does include the Bleed settings that you were looking for.

Best regards