You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Artboard Questions

1. Menu document > Artboards >
— Whay the bottom bar, the menu shows the only "Device" formats?
2. Why new artboards are not blocked from accidental editing when working with graphics just like the starter arbort?

3. The movie shows the strange behavior of artboards when zooming in and out. What is this limited?

Touching Artboards selects and displays the transform and page angle frame. 

4. Why can not I change its size by selecting the size from the format MENU template at the bottom of the window menu bar?  Can I just add a new Artbords?
5. Double tap at the width or height tranformation points causes the page format to be reset, but what is the format? Why does not it reset to a defined and named format in the page name? For example, iPhon X, after changing the format - double-click in the point resets the width or the width to the proportion of the quarantine?

Best Regards

• Staff

Hi Mariusz go,

1. The artboards context toolbar only has presets for devices, as this was a choice by our developers based on the most often use cases for artboards. You can still however add them in at the same size as the document, or your own custom size.

2. No artboard is locked automatically, but you can lock it in the layers panel to stop accidental editing.

3. I've followed your video exactly and I'm unable to replicate this redraw issue, could you please double check that you've installed the latest version?

4. You can only add artboards from the context toolbar that are the preset sizes, or the size of the document. Changing artboard sizes can either be done in the Transform Studio, or using the move tool, like any other object.
I can also see in your video that you're struggling to move the artboards. You don't need to press and hold, then drag, as this brings up the colour picker tool as in your video. Simply click on the artboard then drag it, again like any other object.

I recommend you watch our tutorial on artboards, found here - https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/ipad/video/272727390

5. Double clicking on a transform node automatically transforms the object to be constrained, as if you were holding shift when drawing it originally, so it will square your artboard based on the other side that you are not double tapping. For example if you have a rectangle which is 10cm high and 6cm wide, and you double tap on the central width node, the object will resize itself to be 6cm x 6cm. I've created a quick sketch of this below-

image.png

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)