You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find and replace text not working

Paste this into a text frame "A b c d A b c d A b c d A b c d A b c d A b c d A b c d A b c d A b c d A b c d A b c d A b c d A b c d A b c d ". Find "b". It finds a b somewhere in the box. Keep in clicking Find to see the strange behavior. Duplicate the frame and repeat - 2nd frame is ignored. Apart from it not working there needs to be a way of  limiting search options to Selected Text, Current Frame, All Frames etc.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Very interesting behavior. I can confirm that it still happens with 1.7.0.58.

You might want to make your suggestion for improvement over in the Publisher Beta Suggestions forum, though, so it's not lost here among the bug reports.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Our find does not act as you might expect. It "finds" only when "find" is pressed. Changing the contents after pressing find or adding more frames after pressing Find does not restart the search. The search is only done when Find is pressed and is not meant to reflect the current state of the document dynamically.

"Limiting the search to Selected Text, Current Frame, All Frames etc" seems like a big oversight Please add to the suggestions forum as Walt suggested.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Our find does not act as you might expect. It "finds" only when "find" is pressed. Changing the contents after pressing find or adding more frames after pressing Find does not restart the search. The search is only done when Find is pressed and is not meant to reflect the current state of the document dynamically.

That's good to know, Patrick. However, if we ignore for a moment anything about additional text frames, and look at what happens with only one, something odd is happening. Following @MickRose's instructions for the text string in the frame, and placing the cursor at the beginning of the text, I see this after the first Find:

find1.thumb.png.3668931fa93c53eb6e301b3900d3bb28.png

Note two interesting points: It found the first b, as we'd expect, but that pattern of results looks a bit odd. Perhaps it's right, or perhaps not. I'm not sure. But it looks suspicious.

Press Find again, and Publisher finds just what we'd expect, the 2nd "b" (both in the text frame and in the results list):

find2.thumb.png.65edde8570262a21db5489898806bcab.png

If we press Find again, it finds (and highlights) the 3rd "b", and pressing Find again finds the 4th "b", just as we'd expect. (I won't show those.)

But, if you press Find again (5th time), Publisher highlights entry 5 in the result list (correct), but actually finds the 3rd "b" in the text frame (wrong):

find5.thumb.png.cf2af745385538d6c7c1ae5389998bf4.png

If you press Find a 6th time, Publisher continues to find the actual 3rd "b" in the text, but highlights the 4th result in the list. And it remains this way for additional presses of Find:

find6.thumb.png.f1f4e2fa73b07694d66fb7304522bff1.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff

Well that's certainly not right, thanks 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.