You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

First impressions

I have been a user of QuarkXpress and InDesign for more than 20 years and was eager to try this new alternative. For something so new Affinity Publisher is impressive and surprisingly full featured. So many things are personal preference but here are a few things I would like to see. 

1. Images defaulting to linked rather than embedded.
  2. Headings to span columns as an option.
  3. When I select a character style like (Italic) the blue section bar remains even if it is not applied (which requires a click) - this is quite confusing.
  4. Columns on Master Pages please
  5. Double line strokes (Thin-thin, Thick-thin, Thin-thick, etc.)
  6. Insert Punctuation Space, Figure Space and Thin Space
  7. More options to specify units (mm, picas, points)
  8. and of course .docx and .idml import with styles and character formatting.

I downloaded within an hour of the beta going live and have now spent many hours with Publisher. It has been totally stable, no glitches and no crashes :) The one thing I haven't been able to fathom is that the Liberty OT font I have to use for the title of a Magazine just wouldn't allow me to change the leading between a 2 line title. I had to shift the baseline of one line. This may be a font problem but it doesn't happen in Quark or InDesign (strange.)

Thank you for all the work you have out into this software.

i think that it should have just on thing, namely font and cut, not again the word-like B (for bold) and I (for italic), although is is grey if there is no font cut, or it is automatically changed into the font cut if i use either B or I.  as well i would be clear i saying: glyphs are the font content and not the sings in the assets.