You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change the content of a Master Page Object

Hi,

Is it possible, to change the content / color of an master page-object in a non-master page without change the content / color from the assigned master page ?

I made a master page with red filled rectangle. I also created a page and assigned the master page. On the new page i changed the color of the rectangle from red to green. The color of the rectangle of the master-Page was also changed. Is it possible to prevent that ?

the idea behind:

If that's possible, i can create a master page with the default objects ( e.g. a red filled rectangle) and customize this per page (eg. on the third page a green rect, on the fifth a blue one), but the rect on the master page stays red....

Thank you.

• Staff

Hi Ernsti,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
As far as I know currently there's no way to prevent this from happening. Elements "generated" from the master pages are all linked to them so changes made to these elements on single pages/spreads are also reflected on the respective master pages. There's no easy way to un-link/detach these objects at this point other than turning sync off or detach them using the Symbols panel which is far from being intuitive. I believe this feature is not finished yet. I will get in touch with the dev team to see if I can get more info.

Hi MEB,

Thank you for your quick answer.

the idea behind:

If that's possible, i can create a master page with the default objects ( e.g. a red filled rectangle) and customize this per page (eg. on the third page a green rect, on the fifth a blue one), but the rect on the master page stays red. the rect on the master page controls the size, location,..... of all rects using the master page.... but not the color on customized rects :-)

Suggestion:

- create a master page with "placeholder"-objects (like a picture frame or frame text), set default properties (location, size, ...,  default image, default text).
- if desired, the content (image in a picture frame, text in a frame text) can be changed on one or more pages without changes on the applied master -page.

This could reduce the number of master pages because of the predefined "placeholder"-objects...