You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can’t print Help pages

There is a little icon at the top of each Help page which — when clicked on — offers Print as an option.  But when I click that, I get a print dialog box showing a completely blank page.  I am the sort of dim bulb who likes to refer perhaps more than once to the information on a Help page important to me as I learn new software, rather than searching for it online each time.  A dinosaur, no doubt, but I would like to be able to print.  Am I missing something?  Thank you, in advance!!!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• Staff

@jmwellborn

The help file is not ready for review and so I doubt it has the scrip needed to get it to print.

@A_B_C

Your software interface should be in English but there is a bug such that it can show up in German, which would bring up the German help, that is not in there as you are not meant to be able to see the German UI let alone it's help files. Future updates may force you onto the English UI, as the localized UI is not started yet (except where it is the same as ADe or APh, where APu is localized already)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@jmwellborn

The help file is not ready for review and so I doubt it has the scrip needed to get it to print.

Thank you, Patrick!!  You are grand.  I will just rely on the Wellborn work-around for the meantime.  Take a photo of the Help page on the iMac screen with my iPad.  Print.    Slightly wonky, but legible.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

4 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Thank you, Patrick!!  You are grand.  I will just rely on the Wellborn work-around for the meantime.  Take a photo of the Help page on the iMac screen with my iPad.  Print.    Slightly wonky, but legible.

Hi @jmwellborn If I might suggest a possible improvement to your workflow?  Capture the pages you're going to print as screenshots, rather than grabbing them via iPad photos… It will improve your quality (less wonky!) and, unless you have direct iPad printing (I don't), save you having to transfer the photos back to your Mac for printing.  Look for the third section (How to take a screenshot of a window) on this Apple help page for the 'trick' to make this easy: How to take a screenshot on your Mac.  For example: 

screenshot.png

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

3 minutes ago, GaryLearnTech said:

Hi @jmwellborn If I might suggest a possible improvement to your workflow?  Capture the pages you're going to print as screenshots, rather than grabbing them via iPad photos… It will improve your quality and, unless you have direct iPad printing (I don't), save you having to transfer the photos back to your Mac for printing.  Look for the third section (How to take a screenshot of a window) on this Apple help page for the 'trick' to make this easy: How to take a screenshot on your Mac.  For example: 

screenshot.png

Thank you, Gary!  You are a pearl beyond price!!!!  I just bookmarked this Apple thingy and when next on my MAC will follow the instructions to a T.  Truly grateful!

17 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Your software interface should be in English but there is a bug such that it can show up in German, which would bring up the German help, that is not in there as you are not meant to be able to see the German UI let alone it's help files.

So there is nothing we can do in this first beta to make sure the Help window opens on the English landing page?

As a temporary workaround, I set a Safari bookmark to file:///Applications/Affinity%20Publisher%20Beta.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityPublisher.help/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/index.html. That at least gets me to where I can see the ToC on the left (& it is much faster than waiting for Help Viewer to display anything).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 hours ago, GaryLearnTech said:

Hi @jmwellborn If I might suggest a possible improvement to your workflow?  Capture the pages you're going to print as screenshots, rather than grabbing them via iPad photos… It will improve your quality (less wonky!) and, unless you have direct iPad printing (I don't), save you having to transfer the photos back to your Mac for printing.  Look for the third section (How to take a screenshot of a window) on this Apple help page for the 'trick' to make this easy: How to take a screenshot on your Mac.

Who would-a thunk it?  (Dim bulb vernacular.). Works like a charm.   "O wad some Power the giftie gie us ...(me).  Scotland to the rescue!!   You have not only "made my day," you have "frae many a blunder"  freed me.

@A_B_C Those are a couple of small quotes from the 18th century Scottish poet Robert Burns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_a_Louse

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.