You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master Page changes

Advise please, I've created pages from a master page but when I make changes to them the parent master page is also changed?

I thought it only worked the other way round i.e changes to a master would alter alleges created from that master.

Am I missing something?

Hello MEB,

I've attached two screen shots of my desktop:
One is with the master page selected and the other with the page selected. I'm trying to remove the days of the week [e.g Monday] from the page but leave the date [e.g 1st] in place.
I want both the date and day to remain on the master page.

Master Page selected.png

Ordinary ;page selected.png

I don't know if this is the issue, but clicking on a page does not necessarily mean you go to it. Double clicking will take you to the spread. Did you perhaps make changes on the master accidentally thinking that you were on a page. Sorry if this seems to obvious.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Hi jhmdigital,
You are editing the contents of the layer associated with the master page (Event dates) and so the Master page is being updated accordingly. As far as I know there's no way to detach/un-link an element coming from a master page so it becomes independent from it. I don't know what you intend to do exactly but if you want to keep just the dates, then the master page should only contain the dates. The rest of the info (days of week) must be added on each spread individually using their own text frame. You can use a baseline grid to help keep text blocks aligned.

All of which raises the question - are masters editable or not? 

If I create a master page with text frames on it, and apply it to a page within my document, and then look at the layers panel for that page, the Master layer is locked. But as @jhmdigital has pointed out, it is perfectly possible (and very easy) to expose the contents of the Master layer, and select one of the nested text frames, and edit the text within that frame. In the grab below I'm working on the 2-3 spread. Both of the text frames are nested in the Master layer:

11332962_Screenshot2018-09-04at19_12_54.thumb.png.a1bc083a0b226d0fbcce4df63b04cc97.png

This will of course modify the text on the master page itself, and on any other pages to which the master has been applied. Which could come as a nasty shock if you think you're just modifying the single page.

This isn't the same thing as 'releasing' objects from the master pages, as I believe can be done with Indesign. It's a strange sort of halfway house between locked masters and unlocked masters.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• Staff

Hi h_d,
Master page elements on individual pages/spreads are linked to the respective master pages. This seems to be achieved through symbols (as in Designer) which can be detached from the original objects (in the master pages), however this feature is still unfinished and it's not very intuitive at the moment. There should be more improvements/polishing here during the Beta. 

Many thanks to all of you for your helpful comments.

I confess I haven't done any DTP for some years but back then I used QuarkXpress [forget the version] and as I remember it you could delete items from a page derived from a master without the Master being affected.  Also I don't remember it having layers but I may be wrong.

As h_d says users could have a nasty shock if they fall into the same trap as myself and do not appreciate the "reverse flow" dangers. In my case no harm was done but I can imagine  were several pages are linked to a master and a wrong change on one affects them all.

Could I suggest that the short tutorial on master pages is increased to emphasis these dangers.

Thanks once again folks.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.