You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity’s running gag: Not honouring resolution

First in Affinity Photo and Designer, now in Publisher too!

Placing images don’t honour resolution but are aways placed at 72 dpi – no matter, what is specified in the file.

I attached 2 Photoshop images, simply red nothing else, one TIF, one JPG, both 10 x 10 cm with a resolution of 300 dpi and 1181 px in width and height.

Place both of them im Affinity Publisher, using the „Place Image“ tool and „click them“ onto the canvas. The result you may see in screen „1.jpg” (image on top: jpg, image at the bottom: tif)!

The jpg is placed at 72 dpi (wrong), the tif at 300 dpi correct)

The original files „A.jpg” and „B.tif” are attached as a zip-file „sample-images.zip“ as well.

Just try! :)

1.jpg

Sample-images.zip

i think this has something to de with the exif data.

i opend the jpg in photo and exported it with "include metadata" unchecked.

and now it is placed at the right size.

A1.jpg

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Yes, Affinity applications seem to have issues with how PS writes the 300 dpi in the exif. Nothing else does.

However, like mentioned, if I rewrite the images from Photoline (in my case) after "resizing" the image by only checking the box for 300dpi, then Affinity applications accept it. Comparing the images using the exif tool reveals no real differences in the exif except the creator (PS vs PL).

It's been a weird, long standing issue.

• 3 months later...

It looks to me like a mistake by APub's misread metadata, depending on the way a JPG got placed:

While dragging the A.jpg from macOS finder into the document places the image in the expected size and resolution (100 x 100 mm, 300 dpi) – allthough the Recource Manager tells its original-resolution as 72 dpi. – The same resolution 72 dpi is shown by Manager when the jpg got placed by Place Tool, but then in different size (416,6 mm, 72 dpi).

That said, APub knows the right metadata, but it sometimes processes them incorrectly.

Correct size, if JPG got placed by dragging:      ...       Faulty size, if placed by Place Tool:                   

2088813826_jpgdpi1dragged.jpg.4ceb417bef57cf83157f8f1b01743830.jpg       ...        1918644966_jpgdpi2placed.jpg.54eaac5eb2fdb920a5686b192d07f9cd.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.