You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Booklet for print, colour profile's etc

Hey!
Trying out Publisher on a CD Booklet that will be printed using a real offset printer

Some questions... it's an 8 page booklet, I've set up Publisher to work with facing pages... 

Problems:
1) How can I get the same picture cover both the front page and the back page seemlessly? (on the print they are next to each other and folded, in the document far apbart)
2) They want the pages exported as individual pages, but Publisher exports the spreads as single pages (but not front+cover that are truly printed next to each other then folded)
3) Is there a way to export as individual pages when working in "facing pages"
4) If I would work in "non" facing pages, how do I get an image to spread over the spreads? (there quite a few images that cover the whole spreads)

5) All the pics I have been provided are in RGB. Could I let Publisher convert them to CMYK?

1. Place the image in exactly double size of one page. Place it right aligned on front, and left aligned on back page. It would be very easy, if you create/resize the image to exactly this format in your image editing software. (you may crop it in your imaging software to 2 images of the needed format as well.

2. If cover and back are printed together, why don’t you place these pages in one spread and place the image over both pages? Or, if you want resize one page (Page properties) to the size cover+back

3. In the export dialog choose „All Pages“ instead of „All Spreads“.

4. The best way is not to use single, but facing pages. You can manage single page creation during export. If you want to use single pages, see my point 1.

5. As far as I see: Affinity Publisher doesn’t convert images during output to CMYK. I tested by creating a CMYK document (Iso Coated v2 (ECI) and output to PDF/X-3. But perhaps I did something wrong in a hurry. So if you convert to CMYK in you image editing software you are on the secure side. :)

@Fixx: You are right.

Although setting the correct colour format and colour profile in the “New Document“ dialog, checking the „Document Setup“ and choosing the correct colour space and profile in the PDF output dialog, my first tests did fail. The colour format remains RGB, no conversion took place. A second test after restarting Publisher showed the correct result!

• 4 months later...

I've think I've got clarity on it now.

When exporting any PDF preset, click on 'More' next to the 'export' button.
The settings here override defaults and control what is RGB or CMYK etc. You can then save your own custom preset with great precision.

You can even save as a photoshop file!

more.png