You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - some thoughts

Still exploring Publisher and a couple of things that have me a bit confused. 

1. I create a master page and give it margins of say10mm, I apply it to my pages but the pages retain the default 25mm

2. Every new element I add to a page creates a new layer? Is this right? I would expect this from a photo editing program but not from page layout and I can’t find a way of merging the layers, so even in a small publication you could have hundreds of layers. Perhaps I’m not understanding this one properly.

1 hour ago, stunev said:

Still exploring Publisher and a couple of things that have me a bit confused. 

1. I create a master page and give it margins of say10mm, I apply it to my pages but the pages retain the default 25mm

2. Every new element I add to a page creates a new layer? Is this right? I would expect this from a photo editing program but not from page layout and I can’t find a way of merging the layers, so even in a small publication you could have hundreds of layers. Perhaps I’m not understanding this one properly.

Well... isnt that in InDesign the same?
When I place a new object on my working table it will be added as a layer (in the layers tab)

No - when you place items on a page in InDesign they go onto the one layer unless the user wants something different - InDesign doesn’t force layers on the user and has full control by the user to merge layers etc. I’m not seeing this in Publisher - for me the layers idea is more an image editing feature like Photoshop not a DTP feature - it’s almost like Affinity have taken the Photo snd Designer concept and applied it to DTP.  

At least they haven’t forced the ghastly Persona concept on us in the menu structure.

IMO the Layers panel in APub is a bit of a misnomer. It's more like an Object Order Listing. I'd have thought the whole point of a Layers panel is to give users control of what is displayed/locked/printed throughout the document. I suppose that is a result of having vector, image & page layout software using shared code. Maybe it can be refined in the future if enough people suggest it.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

52 minutes ago, stunev said:

for me the layers idea is more an image editing feature like Photoshop not a DTP feature - it’s almost like Affinity have taken the Photo snd Designer concept and applied it to DTP. 

That right! We also need Global Layers, in addition to the existing site-specific layers. Or the ability to tag layers. Tagged Layers were a great suggestion of A_B_C in the thread "Wrong layer concept for an layout application".

43 minutes ago, MickRose said:

Maybe it can be refined in the future if enough people suggest it.

No, it must be a feature included in the final release. Professionals will not take the program seriously otherwise. Layout apps for hobbyists and occasional users are more than enough in the Mac App Store. Affinity Publisher must offer at least the basic features for professional layouters.

On 9/4/2018 at 2:02 PM, A_B_C said:

No, the difference is that layers in Indesign are not per-spread items, but per-document entities. That means, the same layer can contain objects that are placed on different spreads. Therefore, you can hide all these objects by simply toggling the visibility of the layer they belong to.

Indesign-Layers.mov