You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

REMOVING UNWANTED OBJECTS EFFECTIVELY

I have been trying to use a mix of the Clone Brush Tool, the Inpainting Brush Tool and the Healing Brush Tool to remove unwanted objects from a photo. The result so far has been pretty bad. :( I am attaching 2 screenshots of the photo before and after my attempt. The aim was to remove the chair that's in the middle of "nowhere" lol - and, most importantly all the "ugly" items (cigarettes, ashtrays, used glasses, purses etc) from the first table. 

My initial idea was to clone the little free corner of the table (bottom-left corner in the image) and somehow clone this free table surface throughout the table areas that were "busy with all the items. I don't know if this table corner in an insufficient area to clone from - or if it's just too close to other objects to use as a source - but the result I got looks crappy. :(

What is the best way (tool/method) to get rid of the objects in this specific photo?

And, by the way, is removing the objects I want in this specific photo considered hard to do; or is it a straightforward task and I just don't know what I'm doing yet?

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 05.21.07.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 05.18.40.png

That is one messy table lol!

For a lot of this I think you are going to have to use the pen tool to make selections for the things you want to keep, and save as a channel so that you can load the selection back in, then make a shape matching the table and fill it with an elliptical gradient selecting the colours on the table, you can then load the selections and create a mask to knock out where the objects that you want to keep are.

A quick tidy up, I'm sure you or others could make it better and spend more time on this but just as an example.
2045992794_ScreenShot2018-09-04at07_54_10.thumb.png.36ddea51ea8e077cdd4a2975b7998cf5.png

Table Cleared.afphoto

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

WOW! :) :) :) your resulting photo is exactly what I had envisioned achieving! :) Although I would have hoped the process would have been WAAAYY simpler (like selecting a source color like from the empty table's corner, and then just painting over the rest of the table over the objects I want removed, to delete them and end up with an empty table.. What you described is too advanced for me right now. Although, I am VERY interested in learning :) 

Now, would it be possible for you to explain what you suggested I do in newbie-lingo? :P Or better, of course, do you have a link to a video that shows a similar process so I can follow the steps? I am COMPLETELY new to all this and your explanation got me lost :( 

You said:

1. "Use the pen tool to make selections for the things you want to keep":

What do you mean? The pen tool, as I've seen, makes only straight lines, so I guess that I could plot the 4 corner points of the table's surface, and the 2 corner points of the table's sides, and that would then plot the the table's surface and side. But this tool can't sketch around the candles and centerpiece I want to keep (just like you did). So by using the pen tool as you suggest, won't select all the things I want to keep - I would just end up with the selection of the table's shape, which would ignore all the other items I want to keep such as the centerpiece and candles...  Am I not understanding something? Should I also be using another selection tool apart from the pen tool?

2. "Save as a channel so that you can load the selection back in (later)":

So, whatever the above process (for selecting everything I want to keep) finally is, you say that I should "save these selections as a channel". Do you mean save as a separate layer? How do I do this? Where?

3. "then make a shape matching the table and fill it with an elliptical gradient selecting the colours on the table":

Isn't this what you said I should do in step 1? How do I select the table? With the pen tool? How do I fill the table using the table's colors? What tool is this?

4. "you can then load the selections and create a mask to knock out where the objects that you want to keep are":

Ok, I have no idea what you're talking about here! :P :( 

5. By the way, should I take it as a rule-of-thumb that each and every time I load a photo/image into AP, I should ALWAYS rasterize the image in order to do ANYTHING from that point onwards? (And, if yes, why doesn't AP just rasterize anything imported automatically since without doing so you can't do anything anyway?..)

@henryb Yes I'll do a tutorial for you, but I have to go to work in a while so I'll make it in the morning for you. :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

@henryb Yes I'll do a tutorial for you, but I have to go to work in a while so I'll make it in the morning for you. :D

ARE YOU FOR REAL?? WOW!!!.... <3 <3 <3 

I'm uploading the original image in case you found this to be a good example that others may benefit from by watching your tutorial!!

DSC_3609.jpg

Just made the tutorial, not as good a one as I wanted to do but work beckons again, and I ran out of time. I think you'll get the idea though. just exporting it to youtube, once its done I'll post the link.

Ignore my waffling if I go on too much.

11 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Just made the tutorial, not as good a one as I wanted to do but work beckons again, and I ran out of time. I think you'll get the idea though. just exporting it to youtube, once its done I'll post the link.

Ignore my waffling if I go on too much.

i'm sure it'll be great - can't wait for the post to upload! THANK YOU BRO!! "Waffling" - I'll be using this word for me - hilarious! :P

Cheers Alfred, Youtube is being a lot slow, its taking forever to process, not that long either, even in MP4 as recommended... bugger.

Finally,