You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

cropmarks, search, grayscale showing as colour in pdf and more!

I recreated a document in publisher yesterday and these are the problems I found while doing it. 

You can turn on bleeds but they don't show up on the pages or the exported files. 

trimbox - does publisher have it? can’t find it and help is no good. :-/ When searching via the help function, there are so many things not showing, bleed, trimbox to name a few. 

when exporting a print ready pdf, crop marks has empty space between mark and end of papper, when you export for print. My printer has max page size (this includes crop area as it’s the total file dimensions it calculates from) so loosing page area to empty area around crop marks isn’t ideal. 

when looking at the page overview window, when looking at the pages not as spreads, it doesn’t show the first page by itself, this would be helpful as it will print like this. gives a better overview if you mean to print it. 

Even though I export a file as grayscale (with pictures set as gray scale, document set at gray scale and even export settings as grayscale with variations of these 3), the print ready pdf registers at my pod as having all colour pages.

my computer: 

image.png.fb2b586206ade65767d17c72a640db80.png 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Avihenda

Bleed changed in build 58 so this may have solved some of those issues. You need to make sure the bleed options are ticked when exporting to PDF or printer.

The trimbox in Publisher is just the edge of the document page so there is not much need for another overlay to denote this. Obviously when exported to PDF you can use your PDF reader to display these.

We do seem to have a larger space around the document than others. Are you setting it to fit to printable or are you printing at 100% scale? Do you have a noticeable extra white area when you print?

I'm not sure what you are referring to with the page overview there. are you able to expand on this slightly perhaps provide some screenshots on what you mean here

When I export a PDf with the document colour set to Greyscale, I get a greyscale PDF can you provide an example of a greyscale PDf that is showing as colour for you?

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

hi @Chris_K

I was using the first build you sent out on the beta. 

I'll test updating the build on publisher and see if I can get bleed to work. I'd love to do a testprint at my Print On Demand printer. :-)

When it comes to the white space outside the crop marks, I think I was unclear. My Print On Demand printer has a homepage you upload your print ready pdf and it auto calculated and checks your file for you. So far, the auto calc's not been wrong once. The max size ( hight X with) a pdf can be (printable body, bleed, crop marks etc.) is set for the different book types you want to print. so if their max size is say 300 x 300 mm you want to be able to make the part of the pdf that's printable as close to the 300 x 300 mm and not lose say 20 mm to crop marks and white space behind crop marks. crop marks are a necessary evil, but white space after crop marks are not. :-)  

It is also this auto calc system at the Print On Demand printer who is telling me the pdf only has colour pages, even though the images are all in grayscale and the pdf is exported as grayscale. if you send me a dropbox I can send you the pdf file. 

I've included the page overviews I mean in the images below. when you have the page one and one, you just get them after each other with the first and last not standing on a row by themselves. It's not the end of the world, but it is confusing and I accidentally confused the pages a bit, as I'm use to the first and last always being shown by themselves, even when they are not page facing. I can easily work in page facing and then switch before export, but wanted to give it as feedback. 

thanks

publisher feedback1.jpeg

publisher feedback2.jpeg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.