You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Great work guys, really impressed for a first Beta!

Congratulations on a cracking bit of software. Clearly the care and attention that has gone into this is self-evident. Well done, very impressed indeed.

My first test-run was to produce a 58 page full-colour brochure that took 4 days of serious complex work. Publisher was rock solid and did not crash once. Wow and the great thing was I managed to achieve everything I wanted.

OK a few comments:

1. The Cursor is hard to see (too thin and too dark). An option to choose thickness and colour would be nice as well as an option/button to "Go to Cursor".
  2. When working with the Cursor in text frames, pressing V to select the Move Tool just adds unnecessary (and unwanted) "v" additions to the text! What would work very well would be when the mouse is moved outside the text frame and resumes the Text Frame Icon, then to press "V" to select the Move Tool.
  3. The Page Layout section to the left is way too big. (SOLVED: Just float the page layout menu onto my second display screen!) It is hard to see what pages are selected (the grey border is too dark and I'm using the Light Theme). It's too "clunky" it needs to be like QuarkXpress (going back 10 years!). That was absolutely perfect with the black line Spine. Dragging pages around worked perfectly too. Also often when I wanted to add a spread layout I inadvertently clicked on the "Duplicate" instead -- irritating.
  4. The ability to flip single master pages would be good (i.e. When the single Front Cover with guides/margins needs to be used for the back cover).
  5. It would be great to place the cursor in a paragraph text and right-click to select "Copy Style" and then click in another different formatted paragraph and right-click to "Paste Style". Fast and simple.
  6. I found the "styles" confusing. Maybe I just haven't investigated this fully yet?
  7. It would be nice to copy and paste object styles too. For example when I want to change a whole bunch of picture borders in one go. Should be able to multiply select them and copy and paste border styles. At the moment it's laborious to do so.
  8. I found some problems scaling pictures. Move a picture to a desired crop within a frame and then adjust the boundary frame handles and the picture jumps back to what it was. Endless hoop -- possible bug?
  9. Need to display Bleed Guides -- with snap to enable on/off.
  10. Pre-flight check required and print-preview.
  11. Need to be able to anchor graphics into text.
  12. Would be great to have a stand-alone floating menu for selecting special characters like Em spaces, and sticky spaces etc. which I tend to use all the time. Are there shortcuts for this? Can't see any -- (YES I've found them at last!)
  13. Bit confusing that leading in the Character Palette seems to be duplicated in the Paragraph palette and they don't seem to match?
  14. It would be nice to go to at leat two, or even three decimal points in the settings? -- (Found this hidden away somewhere so please ignore!)
  15. If you set for millimetres then the indents you should still be able to choose measured in points, as an option.
  16. I have a problem using the point size drop-down selection procedure, in that its clumsy to use and changes the text size on the fly (very fast too). Why not have the option to click up and down selection arrows to change point size up/down by one as in the Paragraph settings menu. Very precise and easy to use.

Working more with Publisher and finding my way around a bit more I can say it is a joy to use and very rewarding and satisfying too.

Again great work. I haven't done any serious typography, layouts since using QuarkXpress many years ago. Already I can see that Publisher is a serious contender to the DTP throne.

Great work, I love it. THANK YOU.

Edited by Zero Zero
add more detail

W11 Pro 64bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB DDR4 Memory | Samsung 980 PRO 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 870 QVO 4TB SSD | 4TB 3.5in HDD | 6TB 3.5in HDD | RTX 3070 8GB Graphics Card | Lots and lots of creative software

https://digitaldharmamusic.wordpress.com/

https://digitaldharmamusic.bandcamp.com/