Strandbummler

Affinity Photo/Designer unusable at this point in a professional evironment

Hey,

i don't want to start a rant, because i love Affinity and all it's products so far. But i have gotten to this point where i just cannot rely on Designer and Photo anymore. I'm on a Macbook Pro 2017 running High Sierra with the latest updates. Both, Designer and Photo are crashing on a daily, often hourly basis at this point. Also i still get this weird permissions error message although i already moved all my data to an external drive with no cloud running or whatever. I lose data on a regular basis because of unexpected behavior like this and its not funny anymore. I don't know why, but a year ago everything was peachy and because of that i moved on from Adobe. But i need a reliable peace of software so i can work. There hasn't been an update in months adressing some of the more persistent bugs, at least in my case. Maybe you should move to subscription so you don't have to hold back all the good stuff for a big release. At least give us some bugfixes. I don't want to go back to adobe especially with Publisher on the horizont.

Peace, still love you guys. 

Hey Strandbummler,

It has been a while since the Mac versions got a big update so I can understand that many of the issues haven't been addressed and people are getting frustrated. 

What permissions message are you getting? Do you work directly from the external drive? It has been suggested to other users in the past to save to your main drive and use an external for backing up only. I think we need to make some improvements when it comes to working from external drives/NAS etc. Perhaps try this for a day or two and see if anything improves. If it doesn't, we'll have to spend more time investigating this with you.

It's also possible that because the apps haven't been updated for a while, you're hitting triggers to make the app crash that will potentially be fixed in the next updates.

Hey, thanks for the responds.

The permission error isn't related to the location of the data, at least in my case. It doesn't matter where i save or from where i open files. Local disk(internal drive, no cloud folder), external drives, samba shares, cloud storage(i.e. Dropbox etc). I already repaired permissions according to an apple support document linked somewhere in this forum. The only thing that helps is closing and reopening Designer or Photo, then i can save and open files from locations which where denied before. I will provide as much information as possible. Just tell me what to do.

Regarding the other bugs, i hope the next update isn't far away. Any deadlines you can share?

Cheers

Sounds like you might be getting a different issue to the one we usually see, then. Can I ask how many fonts you have installed? There's an odd Apple sandboxing issue wherein having too many fonts (1,000+) I believe causes too many read/write requests and this can stop you being able to save in Affinity. 

As for timescales, I can't say because I don't know. We're just entering the 1.7 beta phase (with Publisher) so hopefully Designer and Photo won't be long...

Hi there,

I have the same problem on my Mac as well. Affinity Designer crashes randomly all the time. Maybe the latest update causes the whole thing, I don't know, but I've never noticed any serious crash problems before. Don't get me wrong I love Affinity Designer as well, but I'm getting more and more frustrated during my work, especially when I lose most of my work. Sometimes it crashes when I try to save my work, so it's like a beta stuff. Please, please make it stable.

I'm still a big fan of Affinity! Thank you for all the wonderful products!

I have 249 fonts installed. I don't know how different font styles are considered in that regard. But i actually installed only 13 fonts myself. The rest are system defaults. So... i don't think thats the problem there. I mentioned the permissions thing in this thread already.

Is there a log file anywhere i can send over? Maybe i will try to run Designer and Photo from the terminal and maybe that will give me some insights.

I have no freaking clue about these things, but downloaded that file out of curiosity.... But seems related to being files or folders with no write permissions (read and execute only)  at the Affinity folder?  Probably that is simple and dumb, sorry.  Neither an idea about Mac systems... is it like in UNIX/Linux that you can open a console and fix the  permissions manually ( -rwx ) for files or an entire folder ?

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Thanks for your reply, yup I tried to fix the permissions before, but it didn't solve the problem. :( I usually save my work to the cloud...so I'll try to save it to my local drive next time, and we'll see!

On 9/3/2018 at 9:12 PM, Strandbummler said:

But i have gotten to this point where i just cannot rely on Designer and Photo anymore.

My story different, but seems has same root issue.
I downloaded trial version of app and found that App just crashing when I'm doing certain things (like changing DPI of document, or opening PDF-file) :0

Now I'm thinking should I continue with Sketch or go for Adobe XD or wait for bug-fixes.
Hope Devs will have enough time to troubleshoot App till Christmas time ,)

Hi Vlad,

The trial is a bit behind the current release versions so some of the issues you've experienced may already be fixed. We haven't been able to reproduce the DPI or PDF crash so they might just be an issue in the trial and not the release versions. 

I agree. I have no idea why Designer is being marketed as a professional alternative to Adobe Illustrator. I waited a whole year to ditch Adobe because I needed Publisher as well. I figured that all of the programs would be really solid by the time my subscription came up for renewal again. But I can't use boolean operations in AD without having to force quit. Additionally, AD is missing some features that I don't at all consider optional to professional software (eg perspective/distort/warp tools, the ability to make and use vector brushes including pattern brushes).

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely want to support companies like Serif that are taking on Adobe's monopoly-in-practice because competition is really good for us all. I will continue to support them by using their software. I'm just upset that I feel misled. People seriously need to stop talking like AD is an Illustrator replacement because it just isn't. It's great software for students and hobbyists and even pros who want to play around with something different. But it is in no way a replacement for AI when it cannot perform basic vector design functions without repeatedly freezing and crashing. 

Ehm.... Perspective/warp (or even just a mere distort), totally agree (in priority, first a distort, then warp/mesh) , I'd love that. It will come, I'm sure. Am a "pro", and AD is already very useful for me. But I will love when those come to the application. Anyway, depends on the tasks that a feature might become more or less critical. If anything, I'm more worried about the concerns mentioned about the constraints not working well. (Rubs' thread, I think).

But...Booleans? Carter, that seems to be system specific. Or maybe I am not in the same page ? I just made a fast test .Sluggishness, if any, in the video, might be due to I'm doing this test without closing a bazillion of apps very resources/ram consuming, having only 8gb slow and old RAM, as I didn't want to break my workflow for a fast test... and as my screen capture tool is kindda crappy and old. But find it attached below, I have no crash at all with any boolean (again, if we refer to the same thing) in AD (A. Designer 1.6.5.135, Windows 7, crappy 2009 machine) . Anyway, never ever gives me an issue, fast as heck, no crashes ever.... Neither AP crashes (here). 

Edit: Just made a test mixing regular primitives and converted to curves shapes, does it perfect, and also doing booleans with very complex shapes with many nodes (with and without gradients)....No problems.... (all in a print ready new document, A4, 300 dpi, cmyk)

Edit 2: I am able to do pro work without perspective/warp tool (again, meanwhile a simple distort would be very helpful). I mean, I don't think it makes AD non professional. BUT... is a very important addition. That said, I'm all for getting all working with 100% perfection, anyway, before adding features.

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Definitely not crashing here... Maybe it's a Mac version-only issue ? More complex (and dirty, ain't a piece of art, lol) example below. Have found no freakin' way to crash it...

test.thumb.jpg.20a1367a8032bea24e284e034220a4ba.jpg