You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Confusing menus

Hi,

i am thrilled to finally be able to start using affinity publisher. And until now it seems very promising and I am already a believer. I don’t know if it’s a bug. And I am working on only a 12 inch Mac book, 1.gen. But already it’s fast. The menus though seems a little confusing. Identifying menu headlines. Opening and closing them. Maybe it’s me that have to get used to it and also due to my relatively small screen real estate though it’s high res.

but you might be able to improve the experience if it’s not a bug. Maybe by enhancing -a slight change in brightness maybe to make it easier to identify the main tabs in the, in my case, side menus when grouping them. And clicking them to fold and unfold them seems a little confusing or not consistent. 

I have more topics but again congrats about disrupting the publishing business. I am a long time professional and am planning to go all in. With or without Indesign support. Even if it will be helpful at some time I guess. It’s not imperative. I will just start from scratch. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi kimmo_dk,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Sorry the delay getting back to you. The forums have been quite busy since Beta's release and we are still catching up. Thank you for your feedback.
To collapse a panel double-click over the tab's label. To expand it again (single) click its label again. Regarding the issues with contrast between panel's headers and sections/controls I will pass this feedback to the dev team for consideration. I agree that due to their similar scale/colours/contrast compared to the rest of elements they get easily lost/confused in the side panels.

Hey @MEB

Speaking of confusing menus. I noticed the Table and Text Frame panels are not scrollable. In other words when collapsing the accordions they shrink the panel size. This causes alot of erratic changes to my workspace. Can you please submit to dev to make them scrollable like Character and Paragraph panels which stay in place no matter what accordions I open or close.

1025256550_ScreenShot2018-09-26at9_31_56AM.png.99ba1d1cb466f19bd794ab23aca84c75.png

8 hours ago, rjvela82 said:

Hey @MEB

Speaking of confusing menus. I noticed the Table and Text Frame panels are not scrollable. In other words when collapsing the accordions they shrink the panel size. This causes alot of erratic changes to my workspace. Can you please submit to dev to make them scrollable like Character and Paragraph panels which stay in place no matter what accordions I open or close.

Wow, I didn't notice this. I haven't really done much with the Table Studio but the Text Frame Studio has been bothering me for all this time and now you have pointed out the reason for me being bothered. I would like to second your request.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.