You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It wold be great if Publisher added Right Tab to the white space characters.

I have a few more white space characters at the back of my mind that I would like to see added to Publisher but don't want to obfuscate waters at the moment.

I use the right tab very often in church documents when some responses need to be right aligned and then bolded.

Right tab is especially useful as a sentinel character for Grep Character Styles when defining Paragraph Styles (e.g. Indesign) which I'm hoping will be implemented in Publisher too.

Think also of Prices, ISBN numbers, etc. that you might want to apply automatically different characters styles to.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Instead of Right Tab, we have tabstops that are positioned with respect to the right column edge. We felt it was more flexible for positioning, and simpler to use than a special character that doesn't have a Unicode code point, and that lets you use the usual tab key instead.

We don't currently support GREP styles. I agree a hidden sentinel character can be useful for that, but it should probably be something that has no width so it doesn't interfere with positioning.

1 minute ago, Dave Harris said:

Instead of Right Tab, we have tabstops that are positioned with respect to the right column edge. We felt it was more flexible for positioning, and simpler to use than a special character that doesn't have a Unicode code point, and that lets you use the usual tab key instead.

We don't currently support GREP styles. I agree a hidden sentinel character can be useful for that, but it should probably be something that has no width so it doesn't interfere with positioning.

Thanks, Dave.

I thought I looked, but is there a keystroke that can be defined for this right column edge tab stop?

Mike

If you are using the text ruler, double-click along the top edge to create a positioned-right tabstop. Or right-click on a normal tabstop and tick the From Right checkbox. In the Paragraph panel or Text Styles editor, click on the "..." for the row of the tabstop you want to change to get to the From Right checkbox. There's no keystroke; it's part of paragraph formatting, not something you insert in the text.

Good enough. Thanks, Dave.

But I would disagree about the not wanting to insert it manually part. I'll often enough bring in a sample of text, style it and create a p.style and/or c.style from these sample paragraphs. But part of that includes setting this type of tab that when the style is created is present in the p.style. And for those composing right in the layout application, it's pretty natural to just do the shift-tab thing.

This is at least a "would be nice" thing. But I can live with the text ruler method.

Mike

I understand the rationale but think about situations where you have 3 left tabs and 1 right tab. You will need to tab 4 times to get to the right tab.

With the Right tab as a white char. you only need to shift tab or whatever to get there. It's much cleaner in my view.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

I forgot to mention that I really like the way the tabs are implemented now  especially the option from right which will be useful in its own right.

Having played a bit more with the Paragraph Tabs option I think there is a bug there.

Say, you defined 3 tabs and all of them aligning from right. Once defined I am unable to change the number field afterwards, or if if I type another number it give me some other number and not the one I typed.

I'm testing the Macosx version.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the hint about tabs “from right” – I’d never expected or looked for that.

It’s a good idea and good enough if you don’t need other tabstops in the paragraph text style: You can’t keep that bit of text that you need right aligned from breaking, e.g. I often use the horizontal wedge (that’s the technical term, at least in German) for authors or photographers, and if there are other tabstops and the author names are too long, I can’t keep them in line.
In TeX I’d use \hfill\hbox{Some long name}...

BTW is there a vertical wedge to spread paragraphs in a frame or push the last one to the bottom? In InDesign it’s a property of the text frame, and in TeX it’s \vfill.

1 hour ago, fiëé said:

TW is there a vertical wedge to spread paragraphs in a frame or push the last one to the bottom? In InDesign it’s a property of the text frame, and in TeX it’s \vfill.

There is Vertical Justification in the Text Frame panel

2023114773_ScreenShot2020-02-01at3_39_19PM.png.d5144fccb26020f6889e09c0ddee657e.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

There is Vertical Justification in the Text Frame panel

Ah, thank you! I didn’t really look for it. (In TeX I use it often while in layout programs I can mostly use just another frame to put something at the bottom.)