You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides from Master Page Visibility

I might be missing something here, but if I create guides on the master page, they work on the individual pages using the master, but are not visible except while snapping to them.

Is there a way to make the master page guides visible on the individual pages?

Hi @fde101

On a document page, I see master page guides as dotted lines and 'local' page guides as solid lines:

1224605684_Screenshot2018-09-07at00_14_28.png.a44a658cfdf6080015cfecd26c51cac1.png

Have you definitely applied a master to your page? That has caught me out once or twice.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Yes, because it is listed in the layers pane.

Master page:

1328965204_ScreenShot2018-09-07at05_15_21.png.190096a14078f259dbcf9db4d05e4fba.png

Normal page with master attached:

ss_crop.png.91e5f8ed5ca538c331dc6ed6369026c0.png

Layers palette with normal page being displayed:

1386578093_ScreenShot2018-09-07at05_17_31.png.539a62830595395ca9b871c774ebeba6.png

Also, as I stated previously, even though the guides are not visible, they do work for snapping - I get the red/green lines and objects snap to them when I get close to the guides, so they are actually "there" but I can't see them unless I am snapping an object.

@fde101

Any chance you could upload a sample document showing what you see?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1. Yes, it turns out that it does.  If I then remove that guide, the ones form the master disappear again as well.

2. It did not have margins.  I tried on a document with margins, and the guides from the master became visible whether the page had any of its own or not, so the issue seems to be isolated to pages with neither margins nor guides of their own.

I have exactly the same issue. I am using 1.7.0.58 and the guides created in the master do not show on individual pages except when snapping to them (when they momentarily appear as green or red lines).  In the video tutorial the guides are permanently there on all pages that have the master applied to them. On mine other features created in the master appear but the guides do not.  Am I doing something wrong?

On 9/11/2018 at 9:31 AM, MEB said:

Out of curiosity - are you using a retina display/screen?

Sorry, missed this question until just now... no, I'm not.  Off the top of my head I believe it is an Apple Studio Display with a mini displayport connector?  Predates retina displays in any case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I am having the same problem. I try to create a master page (A5) I click in margins on the create page and put in .500inch for all margins.

Click OK, the mast page opens....no margins showing?  First time user of this program, could use some patient help. than you

1.png

2.png

3.png

It looks like you set your margins to 5 hundred inches not 0.5 inches

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

15 minutes ago, carl123 said:

It looks like you set your margins to 5 hundred inches not 0.5 inches

It is kind of interesting that the program would allow you to set margins that won't fit on the page.  It never actually occurred to me to try that...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.