You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spotlight support

Hey all!

As always I'd like to thank your continuous support and updates put into Affinity Designer. It is truly starting to become a flawless experience.

There is one thing that I struggle with every day though. I open many different files daily, scattered in different directories, so I use Spotlight to open all my files.

Two improvements I'd love to see are:

• .afdesign are treated as Other, instead of Images. So actual images, websites and other files get priority before it, and .afdesign files get mixed up with "other" files I don't care about. It'd be great if OS X considered .afdesign as Image instead, like .psd - is this something the OS allows you to do? I know Apple can be quite close sometimes often.
  • Photoshop did this one rare thing well, which was filling up the "Notes" section of the Spotlight information of the file with all the text found in the document. This is strange but Photoshop actually nailed that, because I could freely search a file for "what I remembered it had inside" as opposed to remembering the exact words that made up the filename.

This could really improve my workflow, and it's safe to assume at least some other people too :). Hope you sometime have time to implement these. I'd be super thankful for it.

Cheers! :D

P.S: I am aware that I can reorder File Type Priority on Spotlight, but when I don't wanna search for .afdesign, I don't want "Other" to clutter the whole search. It beats the purpose of Spotlight xP

+1  Yeah, that and adding the non-default Layer names as well to be searchable via Spotlight...

Hey all!

As always I'd like to thank your continuous support and updates put into Affinity Designer. It is truly starting to become a flawless experience.

There is one thing that I struggle with every day though. I open many different files daily, scattered in different directories, so I use Spotlight to open all my files.

Two improvements I'd love to see are:

• .afdesign are treated as Other, instead of Images. So actual images, websites and other files get priority before it, and .afdesign files get mixed up with "other" files I don't care about. It'd be great if OS X considered .afdesign as Image instead, like .psd - is this something the OS allows you to do? I know Apple can be quite close sometimes often.
  • Photoshop did this one rare thing well, which was filling up the "Notes" section of the Spotlight information of the file with all the text found in the document. This is strange but Photoshop actually nailed that, because I could freely search a file for "what I remembered it had inside" as opposed to remembering the exact words that made up the filename.

This could really improve my workflow, and it's safe to assume at least some other people too :). Hope you sometime have time to implement these. I'd be super thankful for it.

Cheers! :D

P.S: I am aware that I can reorder File Type Priority on Spotlight, but when I don't wanna search for .afdesign, I don't want "Other" to clutter the whole search. It beats the purpose of Spotlight xP

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17