You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text insertion bar not visible at beginning of text frame

When layouting, for example, white text on dark grey background the text cursor (not the mouse i-beam)is nearly invisible at the most left edge of the text frame.

In Indesign it was not ideal either, but at least they offset it by 1 pixel in so the frame-edge gets double width.

Also: the selection colour is just an simple overlay-color instead of inverting the selection, as was standard for over twenty years of dtp-software... I'm sure today there are more advanced blending modes possible to highlight an area.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-03 um 14.42.08.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-03 um 14.42.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-03 um 14.42.37.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-03 um 14.42.08 Kopie.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-03 um 14.58.46.png

InDesign 2018-09-03 um 15.00.33.png

InDesign 2018-09-03 um 15.00.12.png

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

• 2 weeks later...

Hi woefi

When typing or moving the cursor with the arrow keys the bounding box for the text frame does disappear which should help make the carat easier to see. I can see your point with the inverted selection, so this may be something the dev team pick up and incorporate

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Yes you are right, publisher hides the box when moving the cursor, which is nice to have.

However, I made 2 comparison videos to show that Indesign does ONE VERY IMPORTANT TRICK (also in Mac Mail.app, EVEN Safari Browser does it with this Comment-Box as I'm typing)

Every time you change the position, display the cursor (-don't blink!), only when it rests, blink. So when moving several lines up or down, sou immediately see the cursor! Also I get much faster response on my old 2011 MacBookPro than in Publisher which helps a lot.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.