You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BLEED BLEED BLEED AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!

I've been having a top moan about bleed problems since 2014, and kind of managed to get my head around having no bleed guides and designer only being able to print single pages or a massive a page with all pages, when you to to print whole document, which is no use to anyone and is just a massive bug as far as I'm concerned, but I was hoping publisher being able to handle spreads would mean it would print bleed on those spreads, but shock / horror single pages print bleed (but pics don't bleed) and spreads don't  - damn it as thought I could get a printable mockup over to a printers but no use without bleed - so work around ...... well its an whole day of arsing around just to get bleed which is something I've taken for granted for the past 18 years ------ hope this is a priority bug fix 

Sorry guys I know it just a beta and Im loving most of the experience so far it's just nearly four years for a standard requirement 

Just wondering if theres any plans to add pagination and imposition? 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Real shame you can't butt-up two or more pages so you can manually paginate - had to figure out a work around : create a new doc the size of the whole spread I simulated bleed guides by placing page margins at 0.01mm all around on the page then setup guides on the master to simulate page margins 20mm then copy pasted one set of spreads from the original spreads Apub doc (the spreads are set to bleed 3mm and are placed -3mm top and left of the page) then duplicated the page 15 times then cmd click onto the pic box (all are linked to a multipage pdf created from designer) and select the page number to show and go through the whole doc to manually paginate by this method then copy paste the text in the text boxes for each page, although I made the mistake of copying each text box with the text inside, I should have copied the first text box then in the original doc select all the text from the next text box and rest of document and deleted so I could just copy the text boxes without text, I copied all the text like an idiot which I deleted in the new doc so I could relink but it left me with loads and loads of repeated paragraph and character styles which you can only delete one at a time, once everything is looking good try printing to my Xerox phaser duplex making sure all bleed is on throughout the doc and print dialog = no bleed - so create a pdf/x2001 with bleed = a usable PDF paginated for print so now I wanted to print a scaled down mockup (which always offsets to the left on each page as theres no scale percentage in acrobat) so thought I'd try from Pubisher which worked opened up great but the print quality of any font or vector info is as bad as Designer - it's as if it's rasterising or something before it rips the job, so opened up in apple preview which is very limited and looks as though it has a job viewing CMYK data but the text and vector stuff printed nice and sharp - like inDesign - nay mind these things can only improve.

Even with all these probs, I'm still loving using publisher   

IMG_2123.JPG

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

I can’t see bleed while working on a file. 

It activates bleed, but it's not showing up on the pages or the exported print ready pdf.

I've tried spreads and single pages and the bleeds are a no show. 

help search shows no info for bleed when I search for it, but then again I'm thinking the help function isn't working properly as there are a load of stuff not showing when I search for them.

My computer specs are in the pic. 

image.png.a6152f3c1dc06f9050f3bdbfe14eec3a.png

• Staff

We had a problem where newly created pages / spreads were not automatically adopting the document bleed settings, and of course this affected export. This has been fixed. You should see this fix plus bleed preview on screen in the main view in an update, hopefully later this week.

If you wish, the bleed on export problem can be worked around for the time being by setting the document bleed margins to a different value (so a change is registered) and then back to the desired values.

damn, just my luck. oh well. 

My printer says on their printing settings, that I need to set the trimbox (even has a file to do it or recommends to use acrobat reader pro to do it) and it needs to be set, as in actively make sure it's there. They make a big deal of it and I've had a hell of a time trying to make sure it's some how "registering" (in the end I ended up using their indesign export settings to get it right).

it's definitely markings for the printer they mean. 

This is google translate of what they say in swedish: 

Set the Trimbox
If you got a picture covering outside the page, it's great, but you still need to give the machine a directive about which area to crop. And to the million chronological question. How do you put it in? To do this, enter 5 mm Trim Box on each page of the document settings in your InDesign file. Note Trimbox should not be confused with Bleedbox, Cropbox or Artbox. However, if you change any of these instead, you may still have a wrong-cut cover.

it's from https://blog.publit.com/sv/vad-ar-utfall-och-trimbox/

All Serif applications set the main 3 pdf boxes properly. The box they are talking about is the bleed box. The trim box is the page size used in the design file. 

So make your page size equal what it needs to be and the trim box is created properly. 

They are the only printer I've had who even mentions trimbox, so It's been a bit confusing. But they can't mean bleedbox. They specify in the last sentence that trimbox isn't the same as a bleedbox. 

If it's as easy as them meaning a bleed box, or a crop box, then I’ve waisted so many hours trying to set the damn thing.

Their statement is completely wrong. Feel free to tell them I said so. It's poorly written.

The image below is taken from inside Acrobat. Acrobat (and pdfToolbox) have the ability to display the various PDF boxes, which I have turned on for the screen shot. In that screen shot I have also displayed a JavaScript dialog I wrote to list the sizes of two of the boxes, the bleed and trim boxes. These boxes are non-printing and are really for prepress people using Acrobat to tell if the pdf is set up correctly.

capture-002190.png.c6e97c2c054d48424be1a5045996fa3d.png

The Trim box is green and corresponds to my page size. The bleed box is in blue. 

My page size, as shown in the screen shot, was set up to 7.75 inches x 10.75 inches. I set the bleed to a standard amount here in the US, which is 0.125" (about 3mm). This is also shown in the screen shot.

This is exactly how Affinity applications—and InDesign, QuarkXPress, et al—do it.

So just make your page what you want when trimmed. Set the bleed amount in the Document Setup to whatever they want, which appears to be 5mm. When you create the PDF, click on the More button and ensure that you are including bleed and whatever printer's marks they want.

If you have any issues, please feel free to send me a private message here on the forum and I would be happy to take a look at your PDF or design file.

Mike

Thanks @MikeW 

I googled it and the online description and theirs, didn't quite mesh. After a while I figured I just didnt understand trimboxes. 

I'll definitly ask if I get problems with it. I have 2 current files I'm working on, but I'm taking my time as there are some other issues with them I'm fixing. 

Thanks.

Can the Affinity team add a tuto about bleed and marks.

I've seen Print > Bleed and marks but after that I don't know how generate a pdf file with bleed and marks.

I must select PDF >  "Save as PDF", choose a new printer ? I'm lost.

In Windows, they have "microsoft print to pdf" but with mac ?

1 minute ago, lenogre said:

Can the Affinity team add a tuto about bleed and marks.

I've seen Print > Bleed and marks but after that I don't know how generate a pdf file with bleed and marks.

I must select PDF >  "Save as PDF", choose a new printer ? I'm lost.

on Mac the MORE button in the export dialog is so uniform, I didn't first see it... 

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.