You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer import - Artboards as Pages

When reading/importing a designer file into Publisher, it would be intuitive to have the option to import artboards as pages. Currently the whole document is imported as a single page with multiple artboards.

A work around is to create a PDF and load that as then the pages are correctly handled - however the text isn't handled quite correctly - odd letterspacing, justification etc...

Just a thought.

Regards,

Mark

I'm curious how you imported it. I just "placed" a .afdesign file that has two artboards, and only one of them is visible in Publisher.

If I instead use File > Open I get a new document with one page containing two artboards. I agree that having an easy way to get it opened as multiple pages would be nice. Or an easy way to transform the artboards to pages.

(Interesting possible bug: Once I've opened the file, and have that 1 page with 2 artboards, I cannot create any additional pages in that document. Document > Add Page and the icons in the Pages panel are all grayed out and/or non-functional.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Why do you need to change artboards to pages? If you need artboards you should use AD, if you need pages you should use Publisher ; IMHO. Only situation you need that conversion is that you have started making a book with AD since Publisher was not available yet, understood what a stupid idea it was :D and want now to convert to Publisher.

Or what is the idea behind this?

(Ok, I think that if there is an option for that conversion it is ok to include it...)

• 7 months later...

I'm having the same issue as walt.farrell. I place an AD file with multiple art boards, but only the first art board is placed. I expected the place cursor to cycle through all the art boards... Guess I have to make separate files for my elements for now :61_sob:

This seriously needs fixing though. No kind of workflow if you have tons of elements already in one AD file.

On 9/3/2018 at 6:48 AM, walt.farrell said:

I'm curious how you imported it. I just "placed" a .afdesign file that has two artboards, and only one of them is visible in Publisher.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

20 minutes ago, Cealcrest said:

I expected the place cursor to cycle through all the art boards...

Hi @Cealcrest,

it works differently:

• First you place the document in your APub file.
  • Then you see on the toobar a selection drop down from which you can choose the artboard you want (see screenshot) below.
  • If you name your artboards in a meaningful way you can tell which artboard contains which content (I didn't in the screenshot :) )

place-multiple-artboards.png.9eebcabaf5821f4248bc70a4ab223e2f.png

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 4 months later...
30 minutes ago, Robert Petras said:

Thanks, @dominik! :1_grinning: You helped me a lot with this information!

Glad to be of help. Cheers to Budapest :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil