You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing picture frames - major BUG!

Iv'e used the Picture frame tool to place an image in document. Then moved around the image a bit in the frame to get visible part of image just right.
Then tried to resize the picture fram containing the image to get it to the right size, the image placement in the image frame defaults back to original placement in the picture frame no matter what I try and I have to do to the positioning procedure all over again. This happens every time I resize a picture frame where I've repositioned image in frame after original placement.

image.thumb.png.5708136ad5e774fca6f9a4a3efb96cb7.png

image.thumb.png.206cf301cbb96425926144f48d97c4b0.png

I could very easily be wrong but Picture Frames seem to have been created for certain specific ways of working as they have extra built-in functionality that doesn't exist in 'normal' Image layers. Have you tried using the Place Image tool instead? Does that get you what you want?

I noticed the same problem, when i was trying to make a slight adjustment to the width of an image-frame, the image jumps back to its initial size.

Cropping and resizing pictures is one of the most important features for me. At the moment it is very easy to stretch images, which is exactly what i don't want, because it distorts the pictures. 

I hope in the final Version of Affinity Publisher it will be possible to place, move and crop pictures like i do all day in Indesign at the moment. 
In Indesign also the black and white cursors make sense: black = move whole image, white=move picture inside. 

Same behavior here on Windows 10. Double click the image to make it smaller than the picture frame,. Now resize the picture frame, the image goes back to its original size.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

For all of you having this problem, have you investigated the Scaling options available in the Frame Properties dialog, available via the image.png.02d184716fe28f131658bbb873aa7602.png button in the Context Menu when you have a Picture Frame selected?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For all of you having this problem, have you investigated the Scaling options available in the Frame Properties dialog, available via the image.png.02d184716fe28f131658bbb873aa7602.png button in the Context Menu when you have a Picture Frame selected?

Yes I tried all options, but the problem still remains. There is no way to resize the image and then resize the picture frame to show just a part of the image. Options make the image full size, fit in frame, distorted.... 

The only work around is to put the image outside of the picture frame, resize both to the size you want and then put the image as a child layer of the picture frame.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 minute ago, AlainP said:

There is no way to resize the image and then resize the picture frame to show just a part of the image.

I must not understand what you're trying to do.

Why not make the frame the size you want, and then place the image?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Because you need to resize frames afterwards on some occassions.

Replicate the issue

Draw a frame
File>Place
Select an image
Resize the image in the frame
Resize the frame. 

The image snaps back to the original size and position.

This is undesired behaviour.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I understand perfectly what he wants to do. While layouting it is very common to slightly adjust the widths and heights of image frames in your layout as well as to try out slightly different image-clippings. None of the four options in "Properties" does allow it to do this.

In my opinion, how Indesign does it by default works perfectly.