You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug: Transparent Background in PDF Turns into Black

Hello Jeff!

You need to place a samesized (or bigger) rectangle filled with white just underneath the transparent PDF or PNG.

That always works for me.

Chris

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

• Staff

@JeffreyWalther

Please can you attach a PDF file to a post that imports with a black background in your tests, thank you

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@ChrisSmere

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Thanks for the work around, which may well be appreciated, but this is the bugs forum where we want to know if the software can be improved

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@JeffreyWalther

Please can you attach a PDF file to a post that imports with a black background in your tests, thank you

Hi,

It seems in our case that the PDF contains a black hidden bottom layer.

In a PDF viewer, the layer is not shown. Which is correct.
In Publisher, the hidden layers is displayed, so the bottom layers shines through.

So.... the PDF seems not to be in a good state with such hidden layers,
but Publisher may also have a closer look on that embedded layers in the PDF.

I deleted the bottom layer from the PDF, so it was working in Publisher as excepted.

Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher V2
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

• Staff

The fact it seems to "show" a hidden layer makes me think that the PDF import can be improved. Can you please share it? 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

13 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@ChrisSmere

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Thanks for the work around, which may well be appreciated, but this is the bugs forum where we want to know if the software can be improved

Hello :)

Thanks for the feedback!

I answered because I thought I had a similar problem yesterday with one imported PDF - so I wanted to help quickly.

Anyway, after reading the further replies it seems to me that my problem was another one. The PDF I had to import had PNG logos with transparency in it. It looked fine in Publisher but the exported PDF showed black backgrounds. My work around was to edit it in Designer, save it als AFDESIGN and than place it in Publisher. I think that the PDF that was given to me was not correctly exported. There were no black layers only PNGs with transparency. 

Chris

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

• 7 months later...

I found this thread this morning while I was having issues with png files showing with a black background once exported as a PDF and printed. I spent hours trying to figure out what the issue was. I finally found a solution that worked. All I had to do was change one thing on the export screen, and the black box was gone.

File > Export > PDF > PDF Preset > PDF/X-4

Worth a try if you're having this issue.

• 10 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.