Rory Mole

Not able to select Filler Text

Hi there,

After selecting "Insert Filler Text" under the Text menu, I am not able to select individual paragraphs to add a DropCap to the first paragraph and format any other paragraphs.  This is important if one wants to see what options text layout has.  Some people like the first couple of words in the first paragraph to have all caps, others like a drop cap.  
Not sure if this is a bug or if there is another way to edit the Filler Text.

I am able to select the whole lot of Filler text that was added, but I want to be able to select just one paragraph.

Thanks a ton to the team at Affinity for coming up with AP.  I'm looking forward to the journey.

Regards,
Rory

I also just discovered this unexpected behaviour.

My workflow for raw layouting/wireframing is to fill the textboxes with filler and then tailer them for my needs-which also includes cutting parts away, making linebreaks for aesthetical reasons (eg. in headlines), play around with the amount of text and then defining my styles based on this examples.

It seems, affinity made filler text a special system-variable instead of a one-off text insertion.

-> please give us the option to convert to editable text afterwards.

• Production-System: iMac (21,5-inch, Late 2013), 16GB RAM, 2TB nvme-SSD, running on 10.14.6 Mojave;
  • Display Setup: 27" Thunderbolt Display primary + 21,5" iMac-Display secondary for palettes;
  • Keyboard-Layout: German apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Right click the text and select Expand Field

Or use the Text menu to do the same

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

2 hours ago, Rory Mole said:

After selecting "Insert Filler Text" under the Text menu, I am not able to select individual paragraphs

Hi @Rory Mole

Go to Preferences - General and check "Insert filler text as text"

2007983560_Screenshot2018-09-03at10_09_11.png.71bca56b0026f9e37c8b258b1b89d63e.png

Cheers,

h_d

Affinity Photo 1.8.1,  Affinity Designer 1.8.1, Affinity Publisher 1.8.1, Mac OSX 10.15, 2018 MacBook Pro 15"

Betas as they happen... 

9 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Right click the text and select Expand Field

Or use the Text menu to do the same

Well, thank you!

...did not know what this ExpandField-thing meant... ;)

• Production-System: iMac (21,5-inch, Late 2013), 16GB RAM, 2TB nvme-SSD, running on 10.14.6 Mojave;
  • Display Setup: 27" Thunderbolt Display primary + 21,5" iMac-Display secondary for palettes;

Just now, h_d said:

Hi @Rory Mole

even better! ;)

Duplicate post removed

Edited by carl123

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

3 minutes ago, woefi said:

Well, thank you!

...did not know what this ExpandField-thing meant... ;)

Me neither, Expand Field not in help file as yet, me just push buttons, make stuff work

Hi there Carl123,

Thanks so much for your suggestion.  It worked very well.

I never knew that this option existed.  I think it could a be quite useful in future.

Regards to you..... 

6 hours ago, h_d said:

Since there is a separate Preferences section named "Filler Text" am I the only one who thinks the logical place for this preference is there, rather than in  Preferences > General? :35_thinking:

Affinity Photo 1.8.2, Affinity Designer 1.8.2, Affinity Publisher 1.8.2; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.2.174 & Affinity Designer 1.8.2.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Since there is a separate Preferences section named "Filler Text" am I the only one who thinks the logical place for this preference is there, rather than in  Preferences > General? :35_thinking:

Photo, for instance, will probably not have the preferences for custom filler text but will probably offer ‘Insert Filler Text as Text’, so our choices would be to have the button move, or to duplicate it, neither of which are particularly appealing. 

Why would it be so bad to duplicate it? As it is now, in both Mac Photo & Designer, we have an auto-scroll Preference that duplicates the same function that is on the Layers hamburger menu.

Affinity Photo 1.8.2, Affinity Designer 1.8.2, Affinity Publisher 1.8.2; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.2.174 & Affinity Designer 1.8.2.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Why would it be so bad to duplicate it? As it is now, in both Mac Photo & Designer, we have an auto-scroll Preference that duplicates the same function that is on the Layers hamburger menu.

But that's not duplicating something within the Preferences menu itself. 

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.641 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.641 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

It would make more sense if willer text was treated as normal text by default. Text is hardly ever paragraph after paragraph. The first thing I do after rendering some filler text is giving it a header, an intro and some subheaders. And why is this behavior controlled in the 'General' preference? The 'Filler text' preference was the place I looked. That just seems more obvious to me.

Hello all,

I trust all is well. I just attempted to use the "Expand Field" option via the Text menu &  with each attempt aPUB crashes. Has anyone else experienced this?

v/r

15"-inch MacBook Pro, 2017, 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 | 16Gb