You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not able to select Filler Text

Hi there,

After selecting "Insert Filler Text" under the Text menu, I am not able to select individual paragraphs to add a DropCap to the first paragraph and format any other paragraphs.  This is important if one wants to see what options text layout has.  Some people like the first couple of words in the first paragraph to have all caps, others like a drop cap.  
Not sure if this is a bug or if there is another way to edit the Filler Text.

I am able to select the whole lot of Filler text that was added, but I want to be able to select just one paragraph.

Thanks a ton to the team at Affinity for coming up with AP.  I'm looking forward to the journey.

Regards,
Rory

I also just discovered this unexpected behaviour.

My workflow for raw layouting/wireframing is to fill the textboxes with filler and then tailer them for my needs-which also includes cutting parts away, making linebreaks for aesthetical reasons (eg. in headlines), play around with the amount of text and then defining my styles based on this examples.

It seems, affinity made filler text a special system-variable instead of a one-off text insertion.

-> please give us the option to convert to editable text afterwards.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Right click the text and select Expand Field

Or use the Text menu to do the same

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, Rory Mole said:

After selecting "Insert Filler Text" under the Text menu, I am not able to select individual paragraphs

Hi @Rory Mole

Go to Preferences - General and check "Insert filler text as text"

2007983560_Screenshot2018-09-03at10_09_11.png.71bca56b0026f9e37c8b258b1b89d63e.png

Cheers,

h_d

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

9 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Right click the text and select Expand Field

Or use the Text menu to do the same

Well, thank you!

...did not know what this ExpandField-thing meant... ;)

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);

Just now, h_d said:

Hi @Rory Mole

even better! ;)

Duplicate post removed

Edited by carl123

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 minutes ago, woefi said:

Well, thank you!

...did not know what this ExpandField-thing meant... ;)

Me neither, Expand Field not in help file as yet, me just push buttons, make stuff work

6 hours ago, h_d said:

Since there is a separate Preferences section named "Filler Text" am I the only one who thinks the logical place for this preference is there, rather than in  Preferences > General? :35_thinking:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Since there is a separate Preferences section named "Filler Text" am I the only one who thinks the logical place for this preference is there, rather than in  Preferences > General? :35_thinking:

Photo, for instance, will probably not have the preferences for custom filler text but will probably offer ‘Insert Filler Text as Text’, so our choices would be to have the button move, or to duplicate it, neither of which are particularly appealing. 

Why would it be so bad to duplicate it? As it is now, in both Mac Photo & Designer, we have an auto-scroll Preference that duplicates the same function that is on the Layers hamburger menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Why would it be so bad to duplicate it? As it is now, in both Mac Photo & Designer, we have an auto-scroll Preference that duplicates the same function that is on the Layers hamburger menu.

But that's not duplicating something within the Preferences menu itself. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

It would make more sense if willer text was treated as normal text by default. Text is hardly ever paragraph after paragraph. The first thing I do after rendering some filler text is giving it a header, an intro and some subheaders. And why is this behavior controlled in the 'General' preference? The 'Filler text' preference was the place I looked. That just seems more obvious to me.

Hello all,

I trust all is well. I just attempted to use the "Expand Field" option via the Text menu &  with each attempt aPUB crashes. Has anyone else experienced this?

v/r

15"-inch MacBook Pro, 2017, 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 | 16Gb

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.