You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wow, well done! Is that really just a beta?!?

Wooooooah! If I was Quark or Adobe I'd be VERY worried. Just played around with the Beta version for ten minutes, but already I can see it's fully featured and very reconciled. Seems VERY fast and stable for a beta?!? I'm a magazine editor and a Quark user since the mid-1990s so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about. It'd be a bit of a learning curve to switch, and I'd need to be able to convert documents from QXP to Affinity.

Also I wonder if you could incorporate some kind of legacy keyboard shortcut feature? I use all of Quark's keyboard shortcuts, so I'd be really slow during the transition period without having to learn Affinity's all over again... I suppose you want people to make the adjustment though. Some keyboard shortcuts seem to be missing, like some for text wrap (runaround), or the ability to add a border to a box.

I love the Quark-esque ability to add a background colour to a line of text but there's no ability to vary how far it the colour extends from the text, so it's too tight to use.

There seems to me loads of very specific options, the interface is really busy. Again, probably a symptom of needing to adjust to Affinity, but some parts of the interface look quite complicated or pedantic. There are loads and loads of tools and palettes. I can see there's the option to customise the interface but

I think there should be a 'save workspace' feature so I can set up and save only the relevant tools, palettes etc, and hide  anything that isn't relevant to my workflow.

I LOVE that it underlines spelling errors, which Quark doesn't, a grammar checker would be great too, à la Word...

Hope you appreciate some feedback but honestly, I'm blown away so far, doesn't feel like a beta, it feels very much ready for market. Looks brilliant, I'm watching with real interest, well done!!!

I'd love to keep on giving you feedback if you're interested?

Sorry, just another couple of observations... I'd love to see one main 'page position/measurements' palette, like Quark's ribbon, perhaps with key things like font/size, a soft of 'essentials' palette, where you can tab through fields to enter width/height of box? Also, I couldn't live without Quark's dynamic guides, which are so useful for aligning and spacing objects evenly. Finally, I can't see where/how I identify and reconcile missing images... so that all hi-res photo files are available when PDFing a document?

• Staff

@Rob Davis UK

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Thanks for sharing your expertise and observations. I should imagine the developers are concentrating on fixing things right now, but I am sure they will come and work their way through the suggestions and ideas when they can.

I moved your post to this Publisher suggestions forum (and broke it up a bit into paragraphs) hope that is OK

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon