You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My saved file was spontaneously deleted - completely gone

Let me begin by saying, I am loving Publisher! So far it's almost everything I hoped it would be, with more coming, so I'm really happy.

However...

I did 2 hours of work in Publisher the other night, saved regularly, only to be met by a message something like: Your file has been deleted and will close now. The message only appeared for a second so I can't be sure of the exact wording, and fortunately I'm not a swearing kind of person so you don't have to wonder about MY wording when it happened - mouth did hang open and eyebrows went up though, I can tell you.

I've searched everywhere for the missing file, but it's not in the trash, not hidden anyway that I can see (even in the ~Library/Application Support folders) - it just seems to have been either obliterated or beamed away to an inaccessible dimension.

My fault entirely for trusting this work to a brand new beta program (we were all warned very clearly), but still I thought it best to let you know what happened in case there's an identifiable bug that can be squashed. I remain undaunted: I'm going to begin the work again, and this time I'll Save As regularly to keep versions as the project progresses.

MacBook Pro 15" 32GB RAM, iPad Pro 12.9" + Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil.  Software tools of my trade: Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | PDF Expert | Drafts | The Archive | Plutio  

https://eandrpublications.com.au

The sequel to this short saga: I found the file in the Deleted Files section of my online Dropbox account. Hooray for automatic cloud backups! I noted that it still had the name of the original file I'd Saved As, rather than the new name I'd created. Odd. I was able to restore the file to my computer from Dropbox, but the mystery as to how it disappeared from my computer in the first place still remains.

MacBook Pro 15" 32GB RAM, iPad Pro 12.9" + Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil.  Software tools of my trade: Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | PDF Expert | Drafts | The Archive | Plutio  

Any chance that you were saving the file to something other than your startup drive & the connection to it was dropped/stopped for some reason?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, misc33 said:

Pretty sure that wouldn't have been the case as there's nothing else attached to my computer.

Not even wirelessly, like for cloud storage?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, could be. I have Dropbox and BackBlaze attached, but this problem has never come up in the past.

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

Not even wirelessly, like for cloud storage?

Yes, could be. I have Dropbox and BackBlaze attached, but this problem has never come up in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.