You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ABSOLUTELY!! Affinity Publisher MUST include a Mail Merge function from BOTH Excel and Apple Numbers files. I do hundreds of mailings throughout the year, and this is a must have function if I am going to be able to move my workflow to Affinity Publisher. You will have my money on day one if Publisher has a good Mail Merge function similar to what Apple's Pages used to have in the iWork 9 days. Word is terrible at it and it always looks like crap, the new Pages doesn't do it and I don't want to work in something like OpenOffice that has little support and an unsure future. PLEASE PLEASE include Mail Merge!

• 2 months later...
On 9/7/2018 at 11:21 AM, JoeSim said:

similar to what Apple's Pages used to have in the iWork 9 days. Word is terrible at it and it always looks like crap, the new Pages doesn't do it

If a word processor suits you, Nisus Writer Pro evidently supports mail merge too: https://nisus.com/pro/help/Ch132_Merge_Documents.html

I haven't tested that, just found it and thought I'd point it out as a possible alternative.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:21 PM, JoeSim said:

ABSOLUTELY!! Affinity Publisher MUST include a Mail Merge function from BOTH Excel and Apple Numbers files. I do hundreds of mailings throughout the year, and this is a must have function if I am going to be able to move my workflow to Affinity Publisher. You will have my money on day one if Publisher has a good Mail Merge function

I AGREE also. 

We use PP9 to generate a lot of catalogue's from pre defined xlsx files, including images. All using the perfect 'repeating area' in PP9. If affinity does not have Mail Merge we won't have a reason to upgrade.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any printer doing any variable data work or some form of catalogue must have a mail merge or data merge function of some kind. Forms of work include place cards, price tags, mailings, invitations, white label items, catalogues, price lists etc etc. We use this function every day without fail, without it we cannot change from our current provider. Affinity photo is fab so we would really love use affinity publisher. Is the 1st release going to have a mail merge function? If not is it in the pipe line for future release?

Good luck on the 1st release.

Suggestion to the moderators - should this thread be merged into the big one?  Not sure how much value there is in having a bunch of threads all discussing the same thing and asking the same questions that have already been spoken for in the one that is pinned at the top of the list for all to see?

• 2 weeks later...

People telling us there is already a thread on Mail Merge is a bit pointless. Thats fine. Maybe if there are 40 threads going on Mail Merge it will be taken more seriously as a MUST HAVE feature. If they are searching the forums for wanted features, then I am just going to type Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge.... I don't care if it is superfluous, it is a feature a great many people need. Sadly, I am going to have to stick with Apple's Pages app, the older version, until Affinity Publisher adopts Mail Merge. Pages actually does an amazing job or both layout and mail merge, but Apple decided to strip it out of the newer version of Pages.

And for good measure... Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge, Mail Merge!!!

2 minutes ago, JoeSim said:

Maybe if there are 40 threads going on Mail Merge it will be taken more seriously as a MUST HAVE feature.

It’s already being taken seriously, but it’s long been clear that it was going to be added later instead of being available from the get-go. Creating multiple threads or posting in ALL CAPITALS is not going to help.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

42 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It’s already being taken seriously, but it’s long been clear that it was going to be added later instead of being available from the get-go. Creating multiple threads or posting in ALL CAPITALS is not going to help.

I am glad that is being taken seriously. When it is included I will consider upgrading to Affinity from Page Plus.

2 hours ago, JoeSim said:

Pages actually does an amazing job or both layout and mail merge

Then you have a working solution for your needs. And once Serif comes up with something that works you can switch at a later time. I do not see a problem with the fact that mail merge was not part of the initial release (apart from many people wishing it were. But that is - to say it a little sarcastic - the people's problem and not Serif's ;-) ).

To put this into perspective: I myself have many features on my personal wish list that are not part in the entire Affintiy suite. I learned to be patient and pragmatic.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I am curious about a mail-merge-like function, too. I publish a convention workbook every year, where I have to merge data into a standard template. Right now, I'm using Word (because I can)... but would SO like to have the better design opportunities of Publisher available. I would say this merged content comprises about 75% of the content of my workbook. Thanks for considering.

No mail merge yet?
K bye!

Have bought all Serif apps for both mac + iOS, but publisher is worthless to me without mail merge. About 90% of my work (postcards, invitations, 1-1 personal letters etc.) needs data merging of some kind, so i'll need to stick with inDesign and their subscription for now :( 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a feature I would want as well. I work in a small high street print shop that offers numbered tickets, wedding place cards with individual names or themes etc. I use data merging all the time for such tasks.

I usually set up a .csv in excel or a notepad file generated from a website with suffixes and prefixes, as some tickets need to start with 001 - 200 as an example.

We currently use Indesign for this.

• 3 weeks later...