You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Place multiple images - no Escape - no undo

Hi 

Not sure if reported already or not. 

But, when placing more than 1 image the Place panel opens, however, you can't hit Esc to close it if you change your mind. 

You have to hit the Tool panel arrow tool.

Also, if you place an image, and hit undo, it doesn't reload it back to the Place panel, you have to reload it into the Place panel.

It would be better, I think, if you hit undo then it would reappear in the Place panel. 

Maybe also have an option to remove images. Make a grid. Choose a shape etc.

Hi Eugene

Not quite sure what you mean by the Place panel, there is no reference to it in Help.  If I place multiple images on a page in a document, then a thumbnail for each appears in the Layers tab.  Deleting an image removes it from the Layers panel and Ctrl+Z [or Edit - Undo] restores the image in the document and puts it's thumbnail back on the Layers tab.  Note that each page has it's own Layers tab. 

Don't quite know if this helps you

Pman

Affinity Publisher beta Layers.PNG

Here's referring to the panel that appears when you activate the Place Image tool and then select multiple files in the file selection dialog. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes place multiple images - they appear in the Place Images Panel.

If I place the image with 50 - nothing in the layers panel yet. 

Then if I didn't like the way it was placed or hit undo - it does not go back into the Place panel. You have to redo the File>Place command.

861609745_ScreenShot2018-09-06at12_56_23.thumb.png.b7bd8187b6c97cfe035dc634109e1378.png

Hio Eugene,

I see what you mean about placing multiple images - I had not tried that before.  However what I tried was putting a copy of the picture(s) in Assets as that will  a good workaround.  Assets work more or less in the way that you want.  You can store your images for the document  in the Assets bar, and if you delete one in your publication, and realise you want it it again you simply have to drag a copy from the Assets bar into your document.  an added bonus is that while you have them in the Assets bar they remain there even if you close Publisher down or open a new document and want to use some of your images in that new publication.  Great for storing text that you use frequently,  too!

Assets remain available to any of your publications until you decide to delete them from the Assets tab

see attached document for details on making and  using assets

Sorry taken long time to reply -had problems uploading this publication for you.

Good luck

Pman

Using Assets.afpub

But that doesn't improve the Place feature, it just complicates it. 

I've been placing images and realise I may have put the image in the wrong frame, for instance, and the hitting undo, the image does not go back into the placeholder, nor does it go back into the Place panel. 

Therefore, it's not really working as expected, it's cumbersome. Hitting undo in most applications will undo the most recent action - and this does not happen here.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.