You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tiered numbering of headings

This should work. The settings are in the Paragraph panel under Bullets and Numbering, and the corresponding section of the text styles editor. By default you get the top level heading numbering. Next to the Type control is a one called Level. Change the level to 2 to number the subheadings. For the text, put something like "\1.\2" to see both numbers. Then change Restart numbering: to Any Non List. You may need to give the list a name so it counts independently of other numbered paragraphs.

Thanks. I tried this but the numbering still did not follow the scheme from the first and second tier. However, after trying around a bit, I went again to the Edit text style -> Bullets and Numbering and deleted under "Name" the entry, which contained [No change], and suddenly it worked, got a tiered numbering system to the 3rd level (2, 2.1, 2.1.1,...). I tried to give each tier level a name but it didn't work either. Only when "Name" was empty... 

• 4 weeks later...

I was having a hard time to make that work. For the heading numberings to increment with the heading occurrence in a document, I had to link all the text frames together. That can become a mess if the pages are reordered. Also, I would have expected the "Global" setting to handle this globally in the document, thus without the need to link together the heading boxes. 

Also, I'm not sure I understand the "Restart numbering" options nor what the "Now" checkbox actually does in the "Bullets and Numbering" option panel?

An instruction video on the topic would have been nice.

6 hours ago, vonBusing said:

I was having a hard time to make that work. For the heading numberings to increment with the heading occurrence in a document, I had to link all the text frames together. That can become a mess if the pages are reordered. Also, I would have expected the "Global" setting to handle this globally in the document, thus without the need to link together the heading boxes.

That is indeed what the Global setting is supposed to do. If it doesn't work, that's a bug. It does rely on all the lists using the same name.

6 hours ago, vonBusing said:

Also, I'm not sure I understand the "Restart numbering" options nor what the "Now" checkbox actually does in the "Bullets and Numbering" option panel?

The Now checkbox forces the numbering to be reset to the Start numbering at value for every paragraph that has it set. It's a way to get manual control over when a new list starts. It can be tedious to use with text styles, though; you have to use one style for the first item in a list and different style for the others. The Restart numbering options are to help avoid that:

Any Non List: the numbering restarts after any paragraph that isn't a list. This handles the simple case where all the list items are consecutive with nothing else in between.

Below Current Level: for a multi-level list, the numbering for an inner list will be restarted by a change in the outer list. If you have 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc. then adding 2 will automatically go to 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc.

Manual Only: numbering only restarts if you tick the Now checkbox. It doesn't restart automatically by the above rules.

11 hours ago, vonBusing said:

An instruction video on the topic would have been nice.

Videos will come in time. They can't really be produced until the program is written and stable. The beta version is the best version we have; there isn't a more mature version we can give to the documentation team.

Thank you Dave for the detailed explanations. I think I understand it better now.

I will do some more testing to figure out if I can reproduce the global numbering issue. 

Yes, I understand the challenge of making instructions on a moving target during the beta program. Eventually, this is a topic with quite a few details to understand that would make sense to explain with a video.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.