You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

have momentary a math-knot

If i "double" an "area" the "fill" will grow up other than adding... Doubel 10x10 = 100 will make 20x20 = 400 so,  the inner surface (quadrat) will be grow up in "quadrat", not linear.

How is the equation-line for this????  X*n+Y*n - thats give not the solution... As said knot in the brain!

BTW: the transform panel: If i select another "edge"  as "center" than left-top , like the middle... the W/H transform altough create its transformation from its "initial pooint"... (is this normal?)

And yeah: Lot in SERIF GUI is bad "readable". Especially  for a creating GUI-App this is a shame! In all "divide" area places the active/inactive is hard to read (the font, the borders are also ugly or bad readable...) but here, the transform "selector" ... its a GUI-enigma: There is a really small-bigger greyed out point and a not changeable white point on topleft... what does it mean and for what????

Its just one of confusing "GUI-units".

I´m a friend of SPARTANIC-GUI, but spartanic GUI needs (subtle) CLEAR "borders". Well, thats really an Art to create! But i thing a (also) GUI-maker-App should invest this xtra-time and go forwards with an envious example, instead looking like Libreoffice-GUI. Well, your symbols are nice, but this is not even 20% of a perfect GUI.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Unfortunately I cannot help with what I think is your question, but I do have a suggestion for you: state your question, describe what you did to try and solve it yourself, say thank-you-in-advance, and then hit “submit.” Don’t add anything else.

Your editorializing about your opinions of the Affinity UI don’t relate to your question, they detract from what you are asking, they will probably irritate those who otherwise might help - maybe to the point that they won’t answer, and in the end you don’t get the help you want.

6 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

If i "double" an "area" the "fill" will grow up other than adding... Doubel 10x10 will mke 20x20 but the inner surface (quadrat) will be grow up much more.

Not sure what you are asking here. If you double the width and the height, then the area will be multiplied by four. Offhand, I cannot think of an occasions where I would need to know the area as such.

Joh

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

8 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

If you double the width and the height, then the area will be multiplied by four.

Yeah, is that the rule? Just multiply the addition of BOOTH by four?  

Double 1773 (x) plus double 1773(y) is the same "1773 x 4" ????

Or if if i double 177 (x) and 23 (y) (=200) is the same 200x4 = 800????

If you multiply both the width and the height of a rectangle by 2, its area will be multiplied by 4.

The units are irrevelant.

w is the original width, h is the original height, a is the original area

w(mm)*h(mm)=a(sq mm)

2w(mm)*2h(mm)=4a(sq mm)

Don't add - multiply.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

h_d

In other words (and thats my question) is X*2 + Y*2 ALLWAYS the same as X+Y*4??? Of course  Point before Stroke, so correct: (X+Y)*4

(of course just in space, not in content)?

BTW: Anybody other know other useful, one-hear-learned simple math rules like this:

- point for stroke

- division with zero is not allowed

- multiply by zero = always zero

- "Division" smaller 1 will grow up 

1 hour ago, Polygonius said:

Yeah, is that the rule? Double 1773 (x) plus double 1773(y) is the same "1773 x 4" ????

Or if if i double 177 (x) and 23 (y) (=200) is the same 200x4 = 800????

Perhaps I should have said: if you double the width, and you also double the height then the area is multiplied by four.

So , if W=100 and H=75, Area is 100×75=7500.

Double the width 100×2=200. Double the height 75×2=150. Area is 200×150=30000 

30000 is four times 7500

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

39 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

In other words (and thats my question) is X*2 + Y*2 ALLWAYS the same as X+Y*4??? Of course  Point before Stroke, so correct: (X+Y)*4

X*2 + Y*2 is (X + Y)*2, not (X + Y)*4.

If your question is actually “Given a rectangle of width X and height Y, how do I double the area instead of quadrupling it?” then the answer is that you need to multiply each dimension by sqrt(2) instead of 2.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You asked, if X*2 + Y*2 = (X + Y)*4. No. X*2 + Y*2 = (X + Y)*2

let X=2.

let Y=3.

(2*2) + (3*2) = 4 + 6 = 10

(2 + 3) * 4 = 6 * 4 = 24

(2 + 3) * 2 = 5 * 2 = 10

Additionally, it is not proper to use addition to express the change in area that results from a change in size. If you have a 2 x 3 rectangle, its area is (2 * 3) = 6 square units, not (2 + 3) = 5 units. This is easy to derive and visualize using a 1 x 1 square. A square one unit on a side is 1 square unit in area. If you double the width OR the height, but not both, you are basically setting two one-square-unit squares side-by-side, so you have doubled the area to 2 x 1 (or 1 x 2) or 2 square units. If you double both, now you have a square again that is 4x the size of the original: four one-square-unit squares stacked 2 x 2, or 4 square units.

As others have said, why is this important to you with regards to photo editing?