You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with text frames

Windows 10 v 1803

I have experienced an occasional problem with text frames. In addition to the standard frame, a secondary frame appears to the right and below the original.

The text in the frame is  clipped by the original frame. See example below. This clipping is carried forward when the document is exported to pdf.

The frame's inner margins are set to zero.

I'm not able to reproduce this effect at will but it occasionally happens spontaneously some time after the frame's creation and it has occurred with both linked and unlinked frames.

I've not found a way to correct it other than by drawing a new frame and copying the text.

Aff Pub text frame.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Jeff,

It almost looks like you've got multiple columns with a big gutter and Insets but I can't quite figure out how to get the space at the bottom. I assume you also have Hide overflow enabled? Can you attach a document the next time this happens so I can take a look at it?

I've attached a screenshot of how I can get a frame into a similar state but I can't see how this could be done accidentally.

1742193735_Textframe.jpg.7ff0bca7c0b73f03a05d683cbeff3fb5.jpg

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply - as you say, the settings in the text frame box are unlikely to be accidental - I don't think I'd even discovered the text frame box at that stage. Would the settings you have shown have explained the clipped text?

Although I had experienced the problem two or three times before my post and once since, it has not occurred since the current version and possibly not with the one before that.

If it does happen again I will send the file.

Thanks again - I am really enjoying using Publisher and am looking forward to ver 1.

Jeff W

I'm also having problems with text frames using latest version 1.7.0 on Windows 10.  Text frames don't show although they are there to be typed into, but handles etc for text flow aren't visible / available.

Also wonder if it could be possible to just type on a page and have automatic text flow to the next page, as in a word processor, without the need to introduce a text frame always?  

• Staff
1 hour ago, John D said:

I'm also having problems with text frames using latest version 1.7.0 on Windows 10.  Text frames don't show although they are there to be typed into, but handles etc for text flow aren't visible / available.

Also wonder if it could be possible to just type on a page and have automatic text flow to the next page, as in a word processor, without the need to introduce a text frame always?  

Can you screenshot this for me please? Is it file specific or does it happen on a brand new document?

I highly doubt this would ever be a feature of Publisher. As you said, this is a typical of a word processor and Publisher is a publication layout app. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.