Quorra

Updating linked images?

When I place an image via picture frame, I see I can update it with "Replace image". I guess this is like linking a picture in Indesign?

But is there an option to update all or selected linked images which have been edited/changed in another tool, like I can update links in Indesign?

I tried and painted in an already linked image, saved that and looked at it in Affinity, and it wasn't updated. So I'm wondering how this is supposed to work.

I also tried right click on the image in the picture frame (or it's layer) and looked for an option like "edit..." (in Photoshop, Affinity Photo or whatever). But I didn't find anything like that.

Maybe I looked in the wrong places?

4 minutes ago, Quorra said:

When I place an image via picture frame, I see I can update it with "Replace image". I guess this is like linking a picture in Indesign?

But is there an option to update all or selected linked images which have been edited/changed in another tool, like I can update links in Indesign? 

I tried and painted in an already linked image, saved that and looked at it in Affinity, and it wasn't updated. So I'm wondering how this is supposed to work.

By default, "placed" images are embedded, not linked. Changes made to the image externally will not show in the Publisher document.

But look at Document > Resource Manager... which allows you to turn an embedded image into a linked image, and do other things.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

For linked (not embedded) images

You can try...

Edit > Preferences > General

and tick

Automatically update linked resources when modified externally

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Ah nice, thank you both! That worked for me.

Since that picture frame doesn't mean "linked" image then - how can I use linked images instead of first placing them and making them linked afterwards? It's not a big problem to link them afterwards, I'd just like to know if there's another way to do it besides the placing (with or without picture frame), which looks rather obvious.