You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

First, let me say, "Great Start!" I'm a long time ID user (and before that, Quark). I've decided to recreate a project I complete monthly to see how it goes. I will add that I am NOT a CC user so my long experience with ID ends with CS 5.5. I will list a few roadblocks I ran into. Undoubtedly you are already familiar with these issues, others may have already documented them, or I simply could not find the functionality; but here goes:

I was unable to import text from MS Word docs (Mac created,  .docx extension). This seems like something you absolutely need.

Using Find and Replace was a bit limiting as it seemingly will not recognize invisible characters. This makes a simple job of replacing 2 carriage returns with 1—within a paragraph which uses a style to provide "space after"—very tedious. Also I appreciate notification after a search is completed. Finally, in find / replace, GREP ability is hugely useful in a long document. (Thank you for including styles in the search.)

Speaking of Styles, I do love that you combined the Paragraph and Style functionality in a single window.

I was unable to create hyperlinks. My project gets exported as a PDF with a linked TOC. I don't think I overlooked how to do this as I saw no "include hyperlinks" option in "export for web."

In my project, I have 4 pages of linked text. I added a couple of blank pages at the end and started typing. The response was VERY slow, and I was unable to select any of the newly typed text either directly or by Command + a. Feels like a bug.

Thank you for making this first look available—it is so much better than I hoped for. Publisher will be a winner, eventually. My credit card is ready.

If you want to see the file I referenced, I can send it privately.

[mid 2010 iMac macOS 10.13.6 16GB RAM]

29 minutes ago, fehmann said:

Using Find and Replace was a bit limiting as it seemingly will not recognize invisible characters. This makes a simple job of replacing 2 carriage returns with 1—within a paragraph which uses a style to provide "space after"—very tedious.

Here's a screenshot of the Find and Replace panel on Windows:
image.png.a944b4d23e5d268490b3ba641daa301d.png

Clicking on the magnifying glass under Find gives a dropdown list of "invisible" characters that you can search for. The triangle under Replace gives a similar list you can use as replacements. From other forum topics, I'm  not sure the Mac version works the same way, today, but I think it's intended to.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt,

Thanks for the tip. I returned to my document and now, embarrassingly, I can't find Find and Replace. It also does not appear in the "Text" menu even though I've selected text. I quit and reopened but can't find it. Crazy…but maybe it's me.

Fred
[mid 2010 iMac macOS 10.13.6 16GB RAM]
Publisher 1.7.0.57

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Here's a screenshot of the Find and Replace panel on Windows:

And here's a screenshot on MacOS:

1497321794_Screenshot2018-09-02at18_07_34.png.a7f3f12e24aa5a5ffd4cc67694a09e95.png

There is no magnifying glass or pull-down triangle.

43 minutes ago, fehmann said:

I can't find Find and Replace

Typing Cmd+f should bring up the find and replace dialog on MacOS. :5_smiley:

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

47 minutes ago, fehmann said:

I can't find Find and Replace

You could try View > Studio > Find and Replace.

(If you don't see that one, then I wonder if you're one of the Mac users who sometimes, somehow, gets the Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer toolbar rather than the one from Affinity Publisher. Although, quitting the app and restarting it seems to fix that for those who've reported it.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

H_D & Walt,

Command f wasn't working (first thing I tried) although I'm certain I had used that before. Then I tried View > Studio > Find and Replace which did work. Put the window away and tried Command f again but nada. According to Help, Find should be available in the Text menu, but, at least on the Mac, it is not.

6 minutes ago, fehmann said:

Since there seem to be at least some differences between windows / mac versions, can someone on the windows side tell me if the creation of hyperlinks in a document is possible in your version?

No.

-- Walt
PC: