You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Field Functionality--Is is working yet?

Are you in fields Panel...?

If so click on the Label to left of field you are trying to insert...It's acts as a button.

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

• 2 months later...

The fields studio doesn't seem to respond to any clicks. Expanding/collapsing the categories works, but click/double-click/drag/right-click on field labels or values does nothing.

♥️Affinity v2; macOS 14; ⌨️🖱; recreational user since 2014.

1 hour ago, hawk said:

The fields studio doesn't seem to respond to any clicks. Expanding/collapsing the categories works, but click/double-click/drag/right-click on field labels or values does nothing.

To use one of the fields in your document:

1. Create a Text Frame.
  2. Make sure the text cursor is within the frame.
  3. Double-click on the label (name) of one of the fields in the Fields panel. Its value will be inserted at the text cursor.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, hawk said:

The fields studio doesn't seem to respond to any clicks

A lot of the Fields will be blank until you have something to actually populate them,  example; I can insert the Section name in a text frame and there is nothing there until I actually give the section a name. Tip, open up the history Studio and watch what happens when you double click one of the fields to insert it, another tip is go to Text > Highlight Fields and check it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I know, I'm trying to insert e.g. page number which is not blank. Nothing happens, history doesn't change, highlight fields doesn't show anything.

29 minutes ago, hawk said:

I'm trying to insert e.g. page number which is not blank. Nothing happens,

Click on the words <Page Number> and not the words Page Number: 

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Make a text frame, type "Page " leave the text caret blinking and double click in the Fields Studio on the <Page Number>.

If that doesn't work Text > Insert > Fields > Page Number

12 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

A lot of the Fields will be blank until you have something to actually populate them,

This is quite bad. This has bothered me for a while. We don't have any visible feedback that something has changed, unless the field has been populated earlier.

I think a better alternative would be to have some sort of <field name> inserted into a text frame and then replaced with real text when the field has been populated. This is how it works in inDesign. 

Obviously, this lack of visible feedback freaks a lot of people out.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

I'm trying to insert fields exactly like @Old Bruce with trackpad and mouse but it doesn't work. Text --> Insert --> Field --> Page Number does work, but I cannot insert total page count or any other fields from the fields studio this way.

When I click in the fields studio the text cursor stops blinking.

7 minutes ago, hawk said:

When I click in the fields studio the text cursor stops blinking.

Same here, that is disconcerting, odd that I had not noticed it before.

Some information about your system and the version of the software and what Operating System you have might help us further solve this.

It has to be the OS, your machine has better to much better hardware than mine and the only difference which I can think of is that you are running an older OS than I am. I just checked the Affinity site and there it says that Mavericks support will be added soon, but I don't know when that was written and how far along it is. So I am guessing that may be the problem for you. I am surprised it loaded at all if your OS isn't supported, the web page must be outdated.

I just had a thought, page numbers are Document specific a lot of the others are from the Operating System. So Page number, count and Section name and pages in should work can you try those?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.