You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo loading takes more time if internet is connected-Resolved

I use a win 7 system with 8GB RAM, core i3 cpu and fibernet connection at 95Mbps speed. When the ethernet cable is removed from D-link router, Affinity photo

loads up in 4 to 5 seconds. When the cable is connected, it takes from 20 sec to 60 sec to load. It appears that AP checks something in the internet everytime

before it loads, if a connection is available. If this check is done after loading, then this delay may not be present. There is no issue with my system or net connection

as all other programs, high bandwidth video streaming, etc work well without delays and interruptions.

Edited by unni
issue resolved.

Block the app with your firewall to test

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, unni said:

It appears that AP checks something in the internet everytime before it loads, if a connection is available.

It does indeed. It checks if an update is available

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

It may also check to see if there's anything new to show in the welcome page.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the clarifications. I am not a software engineer but I feel the method of checking should be in background with minimal wait. Software updates and new welcome page data are released once in a few weeks or months whereas software is loaded by a user multiple times a day. So waiting ten times the actual loading time everytime AP is started is an opportunity for improvement. I timed again - it takes 45 sec mostly, as against the 5 sec without net.

@firstdefence : When the network internet access icon at bottom right of screen is disabled with right click, loading takes only 5 sec. I tried in Windows firewall and Avast webshield but no effect.

You should also have the option to disable this checking for updates so as to suit how you work, I generally prefer to check for software updates myself. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 minutes ago, unni said:

@firstdefence : When the network internet access icon at bottom right of screen is disabled with right click, loading takes only 5 sec. I tried in Windows firewall and Avast webshield but no effect.

there may be secondary processes that check for updates etc 

3 hours ago, unni said:

Thanks for the clarifications. I am not a software engineer but I feel the method of checking should be in background with minimal wait.

Would you prefer seeing a notice about an available update pop up on your screen after you opened a file or created a new one? Just guessing, but I imagine the developers assumed most users would want to know about an available update before they started working on a document.

There is also probably an assumption that "phoning home" with the current version info & getting a reply about a newer version would usually take a very short time, which may not be a very good one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I do not observe this effective. I have launched Affinity Photo under several conditions: Here's a sequence I tried this morning

1. Cold start, internet connected, launch AP: 12 secs2. Close AP, launch again: 7 secs

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

I'm sorry for my first post that got away. I was looking for a way to not double-space between lines and suddenly my incomplete message was posted. I don't see how to delete it.

I do not observe this AP launch time delay with the internet connected. I have launched Affinity Photo under several conditions. Here's what I tried this morning.

1. Computer cold start, internet connected, launch AP: 12 secs

2. Close AP, internet connected, launch AP again: 7 secs

3. Reboot computer, internet disconnected, launch AP: 7 secs

4. Close AP, connect internet, launch AP: 7 secs

5. Reboot, internet connected, launch AP: 7 secs

Only the initial launch of AP for the day took a longer time. All other relaunches with or without internet connected took 7 seconds.

On every launch the splash screen displays the message Loading Fonts... for a few seconds.

I have the Welcome screen turned off.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro X64 on a Dell XPS 8930 with 16 GB of RAM with AP installed on a SSD

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

@R C-R : Normally, most programs have an update option in the "preferences" section. I would prefer a similar method and probably an aditional

entry under "help" or "about" on the main screen where we can click "check for updates".

@Granddaddy: The faster loading observed may be due to different servers catering to different locations of the world,  Windows 10 , SSD etc.

4 minutes ago, unni said:

@R C-R : Normally, most programs have an update option in the "preferences" section.

That is true for a lot of apps, but unless I missed something none of the apps I have obtained from the Mac App Store have that option.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R @Granddaddy@firstdefence@John Rostron@walt.farrell

Granddaddy's feedback made me think of re-installing windows 7. I formatted C drive and made a fresh install of the OS. Now the issue is gone !

AP loads in about 4 to 5 sec without internet and it takes about 7 or 8 sec with internet connected. So AP was probably not getting the

required responses from the Operating system or its services related to internet.

@Granddaddy Double spacing can be disabled by
pressing the shift key down as you return a line
like this :D