You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create a multi-column master page ?

3 hours ago, Christoph Daniel said:

If I understood other topics in this forum correctly, master pages cannot hold text frames to be filled in the actual pages. You need to add a page based on the master page and add text frames to that concrete page. 

Thanks Christoph. It is a very weird behavior. ID manages perfectly text frames in master pages and it is very useful. I hope official issue of APub will get that.

Master Pages can contain Text Frames to be filled in with actual text on document pages, but when a Master Page contains such a frame it will not behave as most of us expect it to. There are workarounds, though.

In any case, that behavior would not explain jjk's problem:

4 hours ago, jjk said:

create a master page containing a multi-column text frame (or even a single coulmn one).

The following should work, and does (to this point) for me:

1. Create a Master Page
  2. Select the Text Frame tool
  3. Drag out a Text Frame on the Master Page you created
  4. If you want it to be multi-column, adjust the number of columns on the context menu.

Creating the Text Frame should work just fine; it's only after that, if you try to use the Text Frame, that you should experience problems. And as I said, there are workarounds to them :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Well, you could search :)

However, there have been two general kinds of approaches. I'll describe the one I like second.

First approach (which I do not advocate): Though there are some variations suggested, this category of workarounds basically says: once you have put your variable-content frame on the Master Page, and created a bunch of document pages, for each page, use the Layers panel to unlink the document page from the Master Page. For example, select a document page, go  to its Layers panel, click on the Unlock icon on the master page layer, and duplicate the layer.

Approach I like (courtesy of another user): Create your Master Page, with its frames for variable content. Apply that to page 1 (which was created when you created the document). Select page 1, which will have inherited a frame from the Master Page. Use the Text or Picture Frame tool as appropriate to create a new frame on top of the inherited frame, using it as a guide. Then simply duplicate page 1 as many times as you need. You will do your work in the new frame(s) you just created, ignoring the inherited ones.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/2/2018 at 9:40 PM, walt.farrell said:

Well, you could search :)

However, there have been two general kinds of approaches. I'll describe the one I like second.

First approach (which I do not advocate): Though there are some variations suggested, this category of workarounds basically says: once you have put your variable-content frame on the Master Page, and created a bunch of document pages, for each page, use the Layers panel to unlink the document page from the Master Page. For example, select a document page, go  to its Layers panel, click on the Unlock icon on the master page layer, and duplicate the layer.

Approach I like (courtesy of another user): Create your Master Page, with its frames for variable content. Apply that to page 1 (which was created when you created the document). Select page 1, which will have inherited a frame from the Master Page. Use the Text or Picture Frame tool as appropriate to create a new frame on top of the inherited frame, using it as a guide. Then simply duplicate page 1 as many times as you need. You will do your work in the new frame(s) you just created, ignoring the inherited ones.

Why bother by creating text frame on master page? Just create it on the Page 1 and duplicate it.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

2 minutes ago, Merde said:

Because it doesn't make sense with 100+ pages documents.

I actually answered to @walt.farrell.

BTW, I am also for inserting text boxes in master pages, just like in ID and Quark.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

20 hours ago, Merde said:
21 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Why bother by creating text frame on master page? Just create it on the Page 1 and duplicate it.

Because it doesn't make sense with 100+ pages documents.

Page count does not matter when you can automatically add pages and flow content by shift-clicking the flow arrow. 

• Staff
On 9/2/2018 at 8:02 PM, jjk said:

Thanks Christoph. It is a very weird behavior. ID manages perfectly text frames in master pages and it is very useful. I hope official issue of APub will get that.

This capability is on our roadmap. Like other long document features, we will release them when have have them working well.