You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help to amend Picture - New to Affinity Help Needed Please

Hi 

I'm new to affinity and I'm a home designer without much skill. I know the basics of Affinity Designer.

Please can anyone help show me how to replicate picture 1 using picture 2.

I came across picture 1 on the internet and loved the way it hazes out (or fades out) on the left hand side.

I can see the picture has been extended and then hazed (or faded out) to make it look like one long picture and I'm trying to do the same with picture 2.

I am sure that it would be quite easy for someone who knows their way around Affinity Designer so I am reaching out to the forum in hope that you can help show me what to do,

I really appreciate you taking the time to read this post.

David

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 1.jpg

• Staff

Hi David,

You could insert a new Fill Layer that has the colour you wish to fade to. Then add a mask to this layer and with it selected on the Layers tab, switch to the Brush tool. Now reduce the Hardness to 0% and perhaps decrease the Opacity a little (Personal preference). With the brush colour set to Black, paint to revel the area of the original image you want showing.

• Staff

Hi David RF,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Another way if you don't mind to use a linear fading (rather than brush painted fading as suggested by Lee D) is adding a rectangle with the colour you want to fade the image to over the image then select the Transparency tool to fade the side of the rectangle over the image. Check the attached sample file. Select the rectangle layer in the Layers panel and the Transparency Tool (on the left toolbar) and adjust the transparency handles on canvas as you see fit. Note that I have increased the width of the document to the left to have room/expand the image a little.

sample.afdesign

On 9/3/2018 at 10:17 AM, Lee D said:

Hi David,

You could insert a new Fill Layer that has the colour you wish to fade to. Then add a mask to this layer and with it selected on the Layers tab, switch to the Brush tool. Now reduce the Hardness to 0% and perhaps decrease the Opacity a little (Personal preference). With the brush colour set to Black, paint to revel the area of the original image you want showing.

@Lee D Thank you very much for your help and advice. With your's & @MEB (Thank you too) Advice Ive been able to achieve the look of Picture 1 @MEB your sample really helped so thank you to you both David