You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Beta Bleed

I have found the Bleed setting under document set up but when applied I can't see them. How odd.

Affinity Photo  2.3 / Publisher 2.3 / Designer 2.3

Affinity Photo Beta 2.3.032165 / Publisher Beta 2.3.0.2165 / Designer Beta 2.3.0.2165

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 core / RAM 32GB / Windows 10 Pro version 21H2

Same here. I assume its not fully implemented, but that's something we need in our print shop.

We need bleed settings to be like InDesign or Quark: have an all-around bleed and/or per side (top, bottom, inside, outside).

I'm looking forward to the first official, post beta release because I *really* want to find one of our best customers a replacement to Microsoft Publisher :)

Controlling bleed in Publisher

The bleed feature in Publisher is the same as it is in Designer. Bleed can be specified in Document Setup..., it prints (when ‘include bleed‘ is checked in the Print dialog) and it exports to PDF (when ‘include bleed‘ is checked in the panel which comes when you click the ‘More‘ button in the export dialog). You just can‘t see it on screen. But you can see anything that is bleeding outside the page edges, which is surely enough at this stage to be able to check that you have enough bleed (the visibility of objects beyond the page edges is toggled on View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas). If you so wish, you can even draw a rectangle around the page at the size of the bleed and stroke it, and it will be visible when you toggle Clip to Canvas. You can even lock this rectangle in Layers so you don’t move it accidentally. (This can‘t be done on a Master page, though — maybe that could be implemented?)

Sorry jamessouttar, as far as I am concerned that is a bodge of an answer.

When setting up a new document I expect to set the size, pages, facing, columns, margins, bleed and slug in one go. I would also expect to set set the bleed in one side and all the others to match. Unless I missed this, I had to put in all four separately. As yet I have never found the requirements of any work I have done to have separate bleeds for different sides. 

When I work on a document, I want to see the bleeds. I don't expect Affinity Publisher to have all the features of InDesign, that would be unfair but do expect something as basic as this.

Affinity Photo Beta 2.3.032165 / Publisher Beta 2.3.0.2165 / Designer Beta 2.3.0.2165

29 minutes ago, RichZep said:

Sorry jamessouttar, as far as I am concerned that is a bodge of an answer.

When setting up a new document I expect to set the size, pages, facing, columns, margins, bleed and slug in one go. I would also expect to set set the bleed in one side and all the others to match. Unless I missed this, I had to put in all four separately. As yet I have never found the requirements of any work I have done to have separate bleeds for different sides. 

When I work on a document, I want to see the bleeds. I don't expect Affinity Publisher to have all the features of InDesign, that would be unfair but do expect something as basic as this.

While I don't expect bleed to make it to the new document setup dialog, I believe bleed preview is in the next beta, due out this week. And if not then, in another beta before APub's release. Which means it should also be in AD once it is brought up to date as well.

Thank you Cineman and MikeW for your replies. It's difficult or rather impossible, for us 'testers' to know what is finished and what isn't

We're just playing along, too. Serif personnel are identified by a Serif badge below their names. But if using a mobile device I don't think they show. I've just been around long enough I recognize their names anyway. 

I am only passing along what I've read in other threads.

Mike