eisteeee

Link images with relative paths

I do not know if this is already planned or suggested, but I think it would be really useful to be able to link images with a relative path if the image is located in the same folder (or subfolder) of the publisher file. I oftentimes have a folder per project where I gather all the images and such for that project. That way I could link images (instead of embedding them) and still be able to copy the project ot another location/computer. Currently my publisher just crashes when it cannot find linked images, but I guess that will be fixed one way or another when it is released.

I like your suggestion, but there is one small timing problem: it can't work for images that you link before you first save the .afpub file.

It would also complicate Save As processing, as all the relative links might need to be modified in the new copy.

But if it could be implemented it would certainly simplify the user's life when moving project packages around :)

It would especially help when sending a package to someone else.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

+1

Publisher should handle paths "smartly" (just like InDesign): paths can be stored as absolute, but the relative location to the file should also be stored / recognised.

This is especially important when switching between PC-Mac (different absolute path), moving projects around, ...

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I can confirm that APub becomes unresponsive (1.7.0.139 on OSX) when relinking images (after the 1st or 2nd link).

Also, it would be nice to Skip a missing link, without interrupting the whole process. (The Resource panel doesn't have the same folder relinking behaviour.)

Edited by eph

+1

Since we work usually together in teams, and we use for example Dropbox to share workfiles, it would be really great, to be able to open on multiple computers, on multiple OS, and be able to modify, update or publish.

With absolute link, we can not do so.

Thanks in advance!

I was also looking for this option. I use multiple pc's so relative linking would be benificial. Managing files would become more flexible.

Sorry for digging deep in history with this topic!
But I thought that the issue of relative file paths doesn't exist anymore.
But obviously it does!

The Mac version (1.7.2) stores relative paths as the resource manager tells.
Working file is opening correctly with relative paths in Windows version (1.7.2) as well.

But after saving the working file in Win the files are linked absolute and breaking for Mac.
Could anyone confirm that behaviour?

On 9/2/2018 at 9:24 AM, walt.farrell said:

it can't work for images that you link before you first save the .afpub file.

It can if absolute paths are tracked until the file is saved then converted to relative ones at that point.