You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedding Picture or Text Frame Within Text

Having extensive use of Serif Pageplus, MS Publisher, Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, I am amazed at the current limitations of the new Beta Affinity Publisher. My usual use of a publishing programme is to write - perhaps 20 page document of text with embedded photos for submission to magazines. - see attached examples of use in Page Plus and MS Publisher.

I may be missing something, but it seems to be impossible to insert a photo, a placeholder, or another small text box withing and existing text box containing text. At least, I cannot make text flow round it, nor can I add shadows or other formats to the picture. See the Page plus example where the page in question had a full page text box with double columns. I placed a full width text box on top with the header in it, and the text can be made to flow round it using properties. I placed a smaller text box for "Background" in a single column size and a photo of a steam engine in the second column and the text can be made to flow around both items in a variety of manners. I suggest the new designers of the software use a copy of PagePlus to see how it should work. 

Am I missing something or is this to be added later. Otherwise it will be useless to me. It should be a basic function. Embedding the Photo layer into the text box layer as I would do with A/D also does not achieve the effect. Surely this should be a basic function?

Using A/Photo and A/Designer, I would love to use A/Pub, but, sorry guys,  it is a long way from even usable for me at present. I shall keep testing though.

33533996_MSPublisher.JPG.0a402170af613c95c3130956a139bccf.JPG1478545654_Pageplusexample.JPG.f08aae5061c56e1eab1e246c365e55e6.JPG 

It is easy to insert a text box into another and wrap text from the outer text box around it. The way that I did it was to draw a text box which I filled with filler text. I then drew another text box outside the first, dragged it in and resized it. I then applied wrapping via the Show Text Wrap Settings, enlarging the Distance from Text settings to make it more obvious.  

Pictures can be placed in exactly the same way, either by using the Insert Picture tool OR the Insert Picture Frame tool (see Tutorial video Placing Images.

Hope this helps you in your project

text box within text box.afpub

Thanks PMan,

" I then applied wrapping via the Show Text Wrap Settings" This is what I cannot find. I have looked at the help files and spent a long time searching for this. I highlight the picture. There is no option on the context toolbar. There is no option on the right click menu. I have tried View - Studio -  nothing there.

It does not seem to be very intuitive, - or I am being thick?

Can you give me any further pointers please.

kind Regards

David

22 minutes ago, DavidSilverSteel said:

I then applied wrapping via the Show Text Wrap Settings" This is what I cannot find.

Look at this set of icons in the Toolbar:

image.png.f8ee5762fcadc168b1aa8548fb6f3b5b.png

Or, look at Text > Text Wrap.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you Walt, that was most helpful. I used Text > Text Wrapwhich I had missed and now all is clear. I do not have the three icons on my tool bars and so far I have failed to find them, but meantime I am working with the text wrap panel. I do feel that this should be on the right click menu.

Thanks for your help.

Do you know if there is a way to copy just "properties" from one object to another?

Kind Regards

David

Hi Dave, while trying to reply to your query about not being able to see the Text Wrap icons which I had on my toolbar, I lost mine while trying to customize the toolbar. The icons I wanted had disappeared and the Customize Toolbar item on the View menu was greyed out.  I put a query onto the forums and Walt- come up with a solution.  

He suggested resetting Publisher Beta by holding down the Control key (Ctrl) while booting Publisher.  If you do this then you are presented with a Reset screen [see below] which gives you options on what you want to reset.  I selected all then Clear   and hey presto! the missing icons reappeared on my toolbar.  It might be worth a try 

Affinity Publisher reset screen.PNG

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.