You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bleed when outputting to PDF

So I have successfully created a 32pp document and it is now ready to be sent off as a PDF to be printed. 

However, with many pages having 3mm bleed, I am finding that the resulting PDF has omitted bleed even though it was specifically set to include it (the option was ticked) when exporting. 

Hi Steveporter. Do you have enabled bleeds in the export dialogue ("more" button at the bottom of the dialogue)?

The crossed box is a smart placeholder for a picture. The cross will disappear if you add a picture. If you actually want a coloured rectangle, you should add a rectangle object instead.

• Staff

I don't think it is actually the bleed on the export that is failing. Rather is is that new spreads are not adopting the document bleed settings. I've just tried changing all 4 of my document bleed settings to different values (so that a change is registered) and then back again and the export works fine on my test document.

Obviously we will fix this as soon as possible, but it looks like it is possible to workaround if you have the patience.

Thanks AdamW. I removed my master pages, selected all pages and changed the bleeds settings in the document settings to something else, applied, and then back to the initial value. All pages have now correct bleeds on the pdf output.

Yes, it is a little unintuitive, so I hope it gets some attention in future updates.

So, this is what I’ve tried so far:

1. Ticked the Bleed setting in export dialogue

2. Add bleed to all ‘spread’ settings for every page and for the document

3. Created a new, blank, document then copy/paste elements from my working document

4. Exported pages one at a time

5. Exported all 32 pages as one

6. Tried both facing and non-facing page settings

7. Print to postscript file (using Adobe PDF printer driver) and bleed settings in there

None of the above worked, except for pages 1-9.

The workaround I used in the end was to set the document size large enough to accommodate my own trims and bleed (on a master page).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.