You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Place Image Tool: resizing image

Hi,

not sure if this is a bug, but from my point of view it is a very strange behaviour.

This is my setup:

1) Select "Place Image Tool" to place an image on a page.

2) Select "Picture Frame Properties" to "None".

3) Select "Move Tool" to resize/move the picture frame to the desired size/position.

4) Double click the picture frame to select the "background" image in the frame and resize/move the image to see the desired excerpt of the image in the frame.

Now if I move the image frame everything is still ok.

Actual behaviour (potential bug): If I want to rezise the frame, the image is going to be automatically resized to its original size.

Expected Behaviour: If I resize the frame, the image stays positioned like I explicitly done it in step (4)

using: 1.7.0.57 (Beta)

4 hours ago, Wosven said:

Hi Wosven,

thanks for reply.

In your answer to the other thread you linked a video saying it is a feature. I do see it a bit different. It sure is a feature (and in my opinion a great feature) if I select "Scale to Maximum Fit" like it is shown in the video that the image resizes automatically. But if I select "None" in the frame properties I would not expect the image to automatically resize.

Same as you, I think for now I'll use rectangle or other forms and put my pictures in them, or use the "scale to minimum" option.

There's a bug too: when selecting "none", it could —grummmfff— resize a last time the image, but for now it is resized at 72 dpi when my document is set at 300 dpi. I need to zoom out to resize an enormous picture :S so it would fit my frame.

1 minute ago, Wosven said:

I need to zoom out to resize an enormous picture :S so it would fit my frame.

It sounds like you might be clicking the Place Image tool rather than dragging it when you apply the image to the frame.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No, the Move Tool is used, and it's the only picture frame in why test document, I click on it when checking the different properties.

At first I created it and inserted the picture, and did some tests for the rescale properties/options while adjusting the frame so all my text would fit in the page.

I selected the frame with the move tool to test how the properties behave, and when setting it to "none" (so I could put back my frame at the original position and size) the image is rescale to 72 DPI.

Now, I think I understand why it's rescaled to 72 PPI. It's the original PPI of this JPG file.

For years, since QXP and ID added effective PPI/DPI, I don't spend time setting pictures to 300 PDI/PPI before importing them in a document, I only check that the effective value is more than 280 PPI...

The simplest solution for this would be that selecting "none" do nothing as expected, or we won't be able to modify some frame later with this setting.
And it's a problem (unless we want to resize it again and again).

5 hours ago, Keron said:

Hi,

not sure if this is a bug, but from my point of view it is a very strange behaviour.

This is my setup:

1) Select "Place Image Tool" to place an image on a page.

2) Select "Picture Frame Properties" to "None".

3) Select "Move Tool" to resize/move the picture frame to the desired size/position.

4) Double click the picture frame to select the "background" image in the frame and resize/move the image to see the desired excerpt of the image in the frame.

Now if I move the image frame everything is still ok.

Actual behaviour (potential bug): If I want to rezise the frame, the image is going to be automatically resized to its original size.

Expected Behaviour: If I resize the frame, the image stays positioned like I explicitly done it in step (4)

using: 1.7.0.57 (Beta)

If you don't need that kind of behavior, use Vector Crop Tool instead of Picture Frame Tool

There's a bug: after modifying with the Vector crop tool, if you don't move the frame with the Move Tool, but other tools, no problem.

If you move the picture frame with the Move Tool, the cropped area will be a big square somewhere in the bottom right of your frame.

EDIT: This seems related to only one document, there aren't problems when doing this in other ones.

Edited by Wosven
More tests…

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.