You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher is not a copy of InDesign - no massive fail!

16 hours ago, musiberti said:

- Layers only affect the corresponding single page. Real layouters can not do without global layers.

Instead of global layers AP is supposed to have global masters, that is you can apply several (unlimited!!) master pages to a single page. I think this is a great feature! 

Noooooo, Masters are not the same as Layers! You can't work with Master Sites if you have to present an alternative Content over many sites with just 1 mouseclick. It's impossible. Are there only amateur layouters here? I'm beginning to believe that I've bet on the wrong horse with the Afinity Suite.

In AP with their master pages it is the same and even MORE powerful. It can do whatever you do with layers in InD and even more, with one click not even bothering to switch to the masters panel! Try for yourself, dig in and you’ll see. It’s awesome! I am just fascinated.

4 hours ago, aleale1 said:

Instead of global layers AP is supposed to have global masters, that is you can apply several (unlimited!!) master pages to a single page. I think this is a great feature! 

It is not possible to apply more than one master page to a single page. I don't know what do you suppose to achieve with multiple master pages applied to one page.

What is your idea about global layers?

BTW, how long are you in this business?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

4 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

It is not possible to apply more than one master page to a single page.

Yes, it is. Simply uncheck "Replace existing" in the Apply Master dialog.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, aleale1 said:

In AP with their master pages it is the same and even MORE powerful. It can do whatever you do with layers in InD and even more, with one click not even bothering to switch to the masters panel! Try for yourself, dig in and you’ll see. It’s awesome! I am just fascinated.

Sorry, thats totally wrong. Do you ever worked seriously with InDesign?

For everyone who don't know what gobal layers are: Please look at this thread. There is a good example (Video). It's such an easy thing, but you can't actually do this in Affinity. If you need alternative Content (language versioning etc.) you have to set up an new document in Publisher. In InDesign you can deactivate the layer with the text und make a new layer for another language. Just two Mouseclicks - FOR EVERY SITE OF THE WHOLE DOCUMENT!

If you try to do this in the same Publisher document  you have to do this for every site, again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again ...... 

Impossible for documents with a large amount of sites, catalogs etc.

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Yes, it is. Simply uncheck "Replace existing" in the Apply Master dialog.

Yes, its possible. But Master Pages can never be a substitute for gobal layers because they only work for "static" objects. Or would someone seriously want to create 100 master pages for a catalog of 100 pages?

8 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

It is not possible to apply more than one master page to a single page. I don't know what do you suppose to achieve with multiple master pages applied to one page.

What is your idea about global layers?

BTW, how long are you in this business?

I am in this business since 2001 and a user of InDesign since its version 2 (i guess it was year 2003).

And this new AP feature looks to me as revolutionary and great.

I'm totally confused. What is the purpose of assigning multiple master pages on a single page?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

8 minutes ago, aleale1 said:

I am in this business since 2001 and a user of InDesign since its version 2 (i guess it was year 2003).

And this new AP feature looks to me as revolutionary and great.

I think Petar means "stacking" of several master pages on one page.

But no matter, who seriously believes that Master Pages are a substitute for global layers, nothing has been understood. Master Pages are for the basic framework. Global Layers are needed for placing different content.

4 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

I'm totally confused. What is the purpose of assigning multiple master pages on a single page?

Suppose you have something that should be present on all pages, and something else that should be present on only a subset of the pages.

You create two Master Pages, one with the "all pages" content, and one with the "subset of pages" content.

You assign the first to all pages, the second to the subset that need that content.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Suppose you have something that should be present on all pages, and something else that should be present on only a subset of the pages.

You create two Master Pages, one with the "all pages" content, and one with the "subset of pages" content.

You assign the first to all pages, the second to the subset that need that content.

Well, as I undersstood you, this is the standard work with master pages like in ID or Quark.

Where are the multiple master pages assigned to only one page?

Why to give up? I am in this business 25+ years and I worked with PageMaker, Quark, InDesign, FrameMaker... and I nrever heard about this concept -- multiple master pages assigned to only one page.

1. How is this possible and
  2. what is the purpose of it?

Also, I couldn't find any help in Affinity Publisher Help page about global layers. Is this something that exist but not documented, or it is you wish A-team to introduce global layers? Can you explain some more about this idea?

2 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Also, I couldn't find any help in Affinity Publisher Help page about global layers. Is this something that exist but not documented, or it is you wish A-team to introduce global layers? Can you explain some more about this idea?

The problem with global layers is that they do not exist in Publisher. You have to do the same thing on every page, again and again.....

1 minute ago, musiberti said:

Yes, I have to believe this because so much nonsense is written here about layers and MasterPages.

You're rather arrogant. Just because others--in this thread--may not have as much experience as you or have worked as you do doesn't mean they fit your critical comments.

BTW, I generally use conditional text in ID for language work. Depends on the job.

Mike

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

Because you can create a booklet in different languages 

Have the layout in mp1

Text in language X in mp2 and language Y in mp3

Combine them specified pages or
or in all pages and set the visibilty accordingly in the layers tab

easypeasy

You will never do this with Master Pages. Thats the reason why Layers exits. Only with global layers you can do this properly and fast.

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

Because you can create a booklet in different languages 

Have the layout in mp1

Text in language X in mp2 and language Y in mp3

Combine them specified pages 
or in all pages and set the visibilty accordingly in the layers tab

easypeasy

This can be done with layers. You use as many layers as languages you have. It can't be solved with "assigning multiple master pages on one page". It is simply not possible to do that.

In ID and Quark when you create one layer on any page, it is automatically created on all other pages.

2 minutes ago, MikeW said:

You're rather arrogant. Just because others--in this thread--may not have as much experience as you or have worked as you do doesn't mean they fit your critical comments.

BTW, I generally use conditional text in ID for language work. Depends on the job.

Mike

No, I'm not arrogant. I'm very frustrated.

Global Layers are a very basic function. And almost nobody knows about that?
I hoped for a real replacement of InDesign. But if you are happy with a little App for amateurs...

10 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

In ID and Quark when you create one layer on any page, it is automatically created on all other pages.

That's what I mean. Language versioning with Master Pages is nothing but a bad joke. It will never work in the real world.

7 minutes ago, musiberti said:

No, I'm not arrogant. I'm very frustrated.

Global Layers are a very basic function. And almost nobody knows about that?
I hoped for a real replacement of InDesign. But if you are happy with a little App for amateurs...

See? You started off fine by equating arrogance with frustration. I was ok with that.

Your second paragraph was ok, though you should remember there are few users in this thread. And they may not have your experience. So the choice is to set aside your frustration in order to patiently explain and at some point leave ir alone. 

Or, you can like in the third paragraph, go on to prove my point.